Who May Apply: US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Ten (10) positions will be filled through this announcement with various full performance grade levels. To be considered for any or all of these locations, please verify that the appropriate duty location is selected. If more than one duty location is specified, final duty location determinations will be made by the selecting official at the time of job offer.
This position serves as a Civil Engineering Technician on a Forest Service unit performing work in support of the units road and transportation systems.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact the following for each location:
Region 3, Lincoln NF, Alamogordo, N, Rafael Castanon at 575-434-7373 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 3, Coconino NF, Happy Jack, AZ, Raymond Holt at 928-527-3524 or email@example.com
Region 3, Apache-Sitgreaves NF, Overgaard, AZ, Chris Miller at 928-333-6274 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 3, Kaibab NF, Fredonia, AZ, Nicholas Warnke at 928-635-8370 or email@example.com
Region 4, Ashley NF, Vernal, UT, Lance Valentine at 435-781-5113 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 6, Umpqua NF, Roseburg, OR, Peggy Roberts at 541-957-3432 or email@example.com
Region 8, Ozark-St. Francis NF, Russellville, AR, Sammie McDowell at 479-964-7297 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 9, Chequamegon-Nicolet NF, duty location in either Eagle River, Laona, or Park Falls, WI, Mark Beuning at 715-362-1377 or email@example.com
Region 9, Green Mountain & Finger Lakes NF, Rutland, VT, David Donahue at 802-747-6726 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay rates vary depending on location. Pay rates displayed above are for the Rest of the U.S. (RUS). See the OPM website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/ for additional information on pay rates for specific locations.
The USDA Forest Service has legislative authority to recruit and fill Permanent (Career/Career-Conditional), Temporary, and Term Appointments under the USDA Demonstration Project. Under this authority, any U.S. citizen may apply.Learn more about this agency
Duties at the GS-10 full performance level include:
- Provides technical engineering expertise to manage the road and bridge system including transportation operations and deferred maintenance improvements.
- Supports senior engineer in the developing the annual road operation and maintenance plans and budget. Assists in the performance of project road design work.
- Responsible for the development of a forest-wide road sign plan as well as road user permits, to facilitate access and road maintenance by road users.
- Participate in the review and approval of detailed working plans and specifications prepared by contractors. Makes minor changes requiring contract amendments and modifications
- Administers construction and maintenance contracts to ensure compliance with the contract terms and conditions and assesses contractor's performance and progress. Maintains contract administration records.
Duties at the GS-09 full performance level include:
- Makes designs and layouts of roads, trails, bridges, drainage structures, and other systems of moderate complexity. Develops and recommends modification of design details to facilitate the project.
- Conducts a wide range of non-standard surveys and data collection activities to provide data for civil engineering project designs.
- Administers construction and maintenance contracts to insure compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract. Refers points of disagreement with contractor to the Contracting Officer.
- Monitors and controls a major segment of projects that are of moderate complexity.
- Develops and submits revised or alternate designs to eliminate or reduce engineering problem areas without undue sacrifice of standards, economy, or esthetics. Performs computations and makes layouts, as required. Ascertains that all information needed for a project is provided in accordance with appropriate design and drafting standards.
- Performs technical review of contract designs to avoid or correct errors of nonconformance with construction specifications.
- Performs land survey work that requires very exacting measurements obtained under difficult conditions, such as steep grades, frequent river crossings, or remote areas.
- Maintains a daily log of the project. Reports all inspection activities to the Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) or Engineering Representative (ER).
Occasional travel - Travel will be dependent on location.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496042700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.