This is a temporary position. No benefits are offered in this position.Learn more about this agency
It is deemed as a WAE (while actually employed) position. Law clerks serve at the pleasure of the Judge. This clerkship is particularly suited for individuals interested in appellate practice, court operations, or those desiring legal experience across a broad range of areas. This position provides exposure to appellate practice and techniques including motions, emergency matters, and extraordinary writs. The responsibilities of the court law clerks varies as those of staff counsel for other state and federal appellate courts. They include: (1)Motions; (2) Petitions, Stays, and Emergency Matters; (3) Opinions and Special Projects.
The position will start at $29.01 per hour.
The incumbent should be an enthusiastic and engaged professional who enjoys working with a diverse group of Court personnel and customers and lives the DC Courts’ values of Accountability, Excellence, Fairness, Integrity, Respect, and Transparency.
The law clerk is expected to perform the duties below:
- Researches issues before the court; writes opinions based on research; participates in the formation of case law; assists judge in courtroom proceedings; manages exhibits submitted into evidence;
- Interacts with chambers staff, court personnel, litigants and the public; assists the judge with settlement conferences and discovery disputes;
- Reviews briefs submitted by the parties; verifies cited legal authority; drafts a variety of legal documents including trial briefs, memoranda and orders;
- Researches and analyzes complex legal issues in civil and criminal appeals;
- Maintains chambers library; makes recommendations regarding the disposition of appeals; drafts concise, well-researched opinions, bench memoranda and other legal documents;
- Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments; keeps abreast of changes in the law; reviews dockets of pending litigation; reviews complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens or individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residency or authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service to work in the United States.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495869500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.