About the Position: Works under the general supervision of the Senior Legal Advisor, and provides professional specialized legal support and advice to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Review Boards) (DASA (RB)) and the Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA) on the requirements of law, implementing regulations, and policy involving military personnel, veterans, and dependent issues. ARBA, through its Director and component boards, acts in a quasi-judicial capacity exercising extraordinary authority to annually render over 22,000 final decisions on behalf of the Secretary of the Army in a program that receives significant Congressional, judicial, and public review and scrutiny. Agency decisions are directly appeal able to federal court. The position involves frequent consultations with various offices within DoD, the Army, and other Services in order to effectively serve the Agency's mission. This position works under the supervision of the Senior Legal Advisor, a GS-15 (the incumbent's rater), and the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army(Review Boards), a member of the Senior Executive Service (SES) and two star/major general equivalent (the incumbent's senior rater).Learn more about this agency
This position is a TERM position. It is time-limited and may be extended up to a maximum of six years. This position may be converted to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment without further competition as long as all requirements are met. To be eligible for conversion, employee must complete at least two years of current continuous service under a term appointment in the competitive service AND employee must have a current performance rating under such term appointment of at least fully successful or equivalent.
- As an Attorney-Advisor, you will provide professional specialized legal support and advice to the Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA) on the requirements of law, implementing regulations and policy.
- Represent ARBA on extremely complex and difficult legal issues involving correction of military records, discharge upgrades, grade determinations, officer involuntary eliminations and resignations.
- Serve as member of Army Clemency and Parole Board, with responsibility for the processing of grade determinations, officer resignations for the good of the service in lieu of general court-martial or in lieu of elimination.
- In conjunction with the Senior Legal Advisor, review, analyze and ensure the DASA (RB) and Agency staff are aware of existing and potential legal issues and newly enacted legislation and regulations, which impact the operation of Agency programs.
- Analyze facts, ascertain law bearing on legal issues, and prepare opinions outlining facts and legal issues, explaining legal principles and precepts, and recommend available actions that may be taken.
- Provide guidance and direction on complex legal problems, note any unusual circumstances surrounding a case or problem.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495738500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.