You will be expected to work year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
Salary NOTE: New employees to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
GS-07: $47,686 (Step 01) to $61,990 (Step 10)
GS-07: $49,479 (Step 01) to $64,320 (Step 10)
This position is intended for current students who expect to be enrolled for at least the next year while you complete your degree requirements.
You must meet and maintain the following eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of fulltime study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
The National Geospatial Program (NGP) provides leadership for USGS geospatial coordination, production and service activities. The Program engages partners to develop standards and produce consistent and accurate data. These and other Program activities that are essential to the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) are managed as a unified portfolio that benefits geospatial information users throughout the Nation.
The National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC) is the primary operational component within the NGP. The NGTOC provides world-class geospatial technical expertise and customer service for the USGS and the Nation. It is responsible for the acquisition, assessment, and integration of geospatial data in support of The National Map (TNM) (https://viewer.nationalmap.gov), quality assurance and quality control of products and data produced via contract or by other entities outside of the NGTOC, development of national standards and data models to support TNM and the Geospatial Platform, providing technical assistance to USGS Geospatial liaisons and state, local and private sector partners, and management and delivery of data that are part of TNM, including the National Hydrography and Watershed Boundary Datasets and elevation data that are part of the 3D Elevation Program. The NGTOC also produces derived products and services from TNM data, including US Topo map products.
The USGS National Geospatial Technical Operations Center is seeking graduate level students working towards a degree in computer science to gain practical experience in computer software development.
As a Student Trainee (Computer Science) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of computer science.
- Conducting Mapping Sciences and Information Sciences development and research.
- Utilizing software engineering principles and program design languages to generate software designs that meet the needs of development and research projects.
- Contributing to project reports, presentations, and demonstrations.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described under "Eligibility Requirements."
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495229000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.