WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? As a Tax Examining Technician you will resolve inquiries regarding tax account issues such as tax delinquency, adjust taxpayer accounts and provide information about general Service procedures. In this role, you will analyze and take appropriate actions as identified in the specific position for which you are applying. Your assignments may include communicating with taxpayers and their representatives regarding their accounts on notices issued. If you are selected for a bi-lingual position you will communicate with taxpayers in Spanish as well as English.Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS SMALL BUSINESS/SELF EMPLOYED (SB/SE) DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers. SB/SE taxpayers generally have higher incomes than most taxpayers, need to file twice as many tax forms, and generally need to rely more on paid tax preparers and the taxpayer education outreach activities of the IRS.
This is a roster announcement open continuously and allows applicants to apply up to the last cut off date listed in the announcement. The roster will be used to fill positions throughout the next 12 months. We are projecting approximately 15 vacancies may be filled during the life of this roster, open period of 3/27/18 to 2/04/19. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, vacancies may be filled for either Day or Swing shifts in the individual POD listed below as they become available in that location during the life of this roster. Applicants need to apply and be eligible on or prior to the cut off dates or the closing date to be considered for the roster. Additional and/or updated applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm ET (Eastern Time) at the close of each of the following cutoff dates: 4/18/2018, 8/2/2018, 11/2/2018, and 2/4/2019. Selections may be made from this roster thru 5/6/2019.
Positions located in SB/SE Brookhaven Campus Examination, Exam Operation, Department 1, Team 101 located at 1040 Waverly Avenue, Brookhaven, NY.
As a Tax Examining Technician you will:
- Evaluate all available information and take corrective actions, such as credit transfers requests, re-computed tax, and/or penalty and interest.
- Access relevant systems to view and/or update taxpayers' accounts regarding payments received, review status of the case, and/or to make account adjustments.
- Enter data into automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and/or credit adjustments.
- Recognize indications of tax fraud; make determinations and use sound judgment concerning taxpayers' data and responses.
- Gain cooperation of taxpayers by explaining the best options available to resolve the problem or question, mutual interests, and to make sure they understand their responsibilities.
- Interpret the law as it relates to the issues and if affects the performance and efficiency of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Educate taxpayers on action(s) needed to achieve compliance with tax filing/liabilities.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Who May Apply
This job is open to…-Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/495013400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.