This job opening announcement has been extended by two weeks. The job opening announcement will now close by 17 April 2018. Applicants that have applied do not need to re-apply. If you have any questions please contact the HR Specialist located in the Agency Contact section.Amendment Date: 03/29/2018
Amendment Note: This announcement has been extended.
Office of the Chief CounselLearn more about this agency
The Assistant Chief Counsel for Employment and Labor Law provides executive direction and oversight of Office of the Chief Counsel activities and functions related to litigation in all forums on human resources, equal employment opportunity and select labor matters. The Assistant Chief Counsel for Employment and Labor Law serves as the FAA Administrator’s primary legal advisor in support of over 47,000 employees and oversees a nationwide staff of managers, attorneys, and support professionals responsible for providing legal and administrative work in the legal interpretation and proper application of laws, executive orders, regulations, precedents and agency practices relating to human resource programs, equal employment opportunity, and labor policy and programs to include labor contract negotiations.
Additionally, the Assistant Chief Counsel for Employment and Labor Law contributes expertise to other legal practice areas such as regulations, enforcement, litigation, ethics and general law.
- Directs planning, policy development, and execution of all legal aspects relating to human resources and labor law programs and litigation for the entire Office of the Chief Counsel.
- Provides representation and legal services for senior management officials throughout FAA on legal issues related to employee rights and benefits, adverse actions, employee misconduct and complaints.
- Serves as FAA's legal representative in select unfair labor practice, arbitration, mediation, impasse, negotiability, representation, and other labor relations proceedings involving complex legal issues.
- Prepares legal briefs, office memoranda and other legal documents on complex, sensitive legal issues, including those involving questions of first impression.
- Develops and executes legal aspects of FAA personnel programs and labor-management activities.
- Renders opinions and interpretations of FAA’s independent personnel authority and labor statutes and personnel and labor law policies to ensure consistency with government statutes, Executive Orders and applicable Department of Transportation policies.
- Directs and supervises a team of attorneys, paralegal specialists and support staff to provide representation and legal services in the areas of employment and labor law, to include the assignment and review of work, and assessment of employee performance.
- Interacts routinely with high-level officials within the FAA, the Department of Transportation, other Federal agencies, the private sector, and with members of Congress and their staffs.
Occasional travel - The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493862200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.