The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (OPERATING SYSTEMS) DO? As an Information Technology Specialist (Operating Systems) you will define and develop projects, and acquire the resources to complete them. In this position, you will develop guidelines that will be used by other specialists; lead major national level projects such as the application and adaptation of new and improved approaches to the planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the systems environment; and the diagnosis and resolution of the most complex operating systems problems and issues. These projects have an impact on broad agency goals; they deal with multi-year plans, new cutting-edge technologies or issues, and develop new policies or make significant changes to existing policies that have IRS-wide impact.
WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION? The mission of the IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support
25 selections will be made throughout the IT Organization, and will be filled in any of the following POD's: Lanham-Seabrook, MD; Kearneysville, WV; Memphis, TN; Detroit, MI; Austin, TX; Ogden, UT; Farmers Branch, TX; Chamblee, GA; Washington, DC; Fresno, CA; Philadelphia, PA; Holtsville, NY; Kansas City, MO; Atlanta, GA; Covington, KY; and Charlotte, NC.
As an Operating Systems Information Technology Specialist you will:
- Develop policies, procedures, and strategies that ensure optimization and integration in the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the operating environment.
- Provide authoritative advice, as part of IRS-wide mission, to other specialists in areas such as disaster recovery, capacity planning, applications development, hardware strategy, and operating systems security.
- Lead a major IRS-wide operating systems project, e.g., installation of new operating environments or implementation of new operating systems patches, upgrades, and releases.
- Consult with developers or vendors in defining requirements and identifying integration issues; oversee installation, customization, testing, and implementation of the operating environment.
- Work with vendor software engineers to correct problems and enhance performance.
- Evaluate the impact of new and proposed applications on the IRS-wide operating environment; and recommend changes to ensure the functionality and stability of the operating environment.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 To 5 Nights Per Month May Be Required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required
Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493761600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.