Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide professional medical nutrition therapy and other nutrition care services and oversight in support of a Human Performance and Optimization (HPO) Program for Air Force tactical athletes. The incumbent provides nutrition counseling services to Air Force tactical athletes whose physical needs require complex dietary management to meet training demands and optimize performance.
- Manages and implements the BA HPO nutrition program and coordinates in the care of tactical athletes who have special nutritional needs.
- Develops policy and instructional materials and provides individual and group instruction (medical nutrition therapy and nutrition education) as appropriate based on tactical athlete need, level of understanding and cultural needs.
- Participates in continuing education programs to update and/or maintain skills and knowledge and conducts training of peers and subordinates.
- Meets annual requirements to comply with credentials office and the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov.
- Recruitment incentives may/may not be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- PCS expenses will not be paid
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance as a condition of employment
- Must be able to obtain National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Membership in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) is desirable
- Must possess a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
- Work may require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft
- Certification as a Nutrition Support Dietitian and/or Diabetic Educator is desirable.
- A Maste?s Degree in in dietetics, food and nutrition or other related areas demonstrating positive evidence of ability to perform all duties of the position, as well as 5 years? experience is desired
- The incumbent must maintain a current status as a Registered Dietitian through the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association, and be privileged through the Credentials Office
- Per OPM guidance, employees currently assigned to positions in this occupational series as of September 2017 will be considered to have met the basic requirements for the position occupied
- This position has a positive education requirement
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a motor vehicle driver's license
- May be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Credentials: Must be a Registered, Licensed Dietitian and Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD)
QualificationsBasic Requirements for GS-0630 Positions: A Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in a major study of dietetics, food, nutrition, food service management, institution management, or related science. For dietitian positions, the curriculum must have been in accordance with the qualifying requirements established by The American Dietetic Association (ADA) in effect at the time of graduation. Information on ADA-approved curricula may be obtained from The American Dietetic Association, 430 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611. (Professional registration as a registered dietitian (R.D.) is evidence of meeting ADA requirements.)
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience for GS-0630-11 which includes knowledge of nutrition and complex phases of sports dietetics as appropriate to the ages of tactical athletes served. Knowledge of the wide range of professional principles and practices of sports dietetics, and the relationship of other complicating illnesses, injuries, and treatment methods to the specialty phase. Knowledge of complex concepts of educational practices and techniques to counsel tactical athletes, develop and conduct tactical athlete education programs, and provide in-service education programs to all segments of the program as well as one-on-one tailored programs. Knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment used in food preparation and service. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the GS-09 grade/level or equivalent in the federal service. NOTE: You must submit a copy of official transcripts.
Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or related disciplines which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of official transcripts.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. NOTE: You must submit a copy of official transcripts.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-09 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Credentials: Must be a Registered, Licensed Dietitian and Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD)
2. Knowledge of an extensive range of professional sports nutrition theories, principles, practices, and procedures to enhance athlete performance.
3. Knowledge of the administrative requirements for proper documentation of the athlete performance including progress, acknowledgement of teaching, follow-up counseling, and goals and plans.
4. Skill to perform in-depth sports nutrition assessments through collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data from laboratory results, interviews, drug-nutrient interactions, anthropometrical measurements, and client history.
5. Ability to develop, implement, and conduct nutrition therapy, nutrition education and counseling programs tailored to individualized plans. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
6. Ability to interpret and implement evolving sports nutrition standards, and regulatory standards from a variety of organizations such as the CDR, AND, American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, National Academy of Sports Medicine, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations or the Air Force Inspector General (Health Services Inspection and Operational Readiness Inspection).
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities (click "Learn more about this agency" button above) to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" or equivalent eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period, hours worked and supervisor
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or positive education series (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 03/19/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10161657
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10161657
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
374 Maynard Street
Pope Field, NC 28308
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493697100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.