To fulfill President Lincoln's promise -"To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan"- by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.Learn more about this agency
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is comprised of the men and women charged with leading the continuing transformation of government. These leaders possess well-honed executive skills and share a broad perspective of government and a public service commitment.
The Executive Director leads the establishment, deployment, monitoring, governance, and oversight of enterprise-wide VA Information Security Policy Strategy, Architectures, and associated implementation plans; provides strategic and policy focus on all elements of information security, cybersecurity (CS), and CS incident management including widespread security breaches, service disruptions, cyber attacks and data thefts. Ensures key VA information security policies, strategies, and architectures are identified, implemented and maintained. Leads policy efforts supporting the VA CS workforce planning/recruitment/training/retaining effort/directs CS metrics, reporting, and dashboarding efforts to include OMB FISMA reporting; and serves as a catalyst for organizational CS change, making recommendations on governance structure to mitigate risks around CS gaps and translating their vision into strategic recommendations with defined steps and accountability. This position supervises 4 direct reports and manages over 100 employees.
ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATED TO CORRECT PAY BAND
VA structures its SES positions into pay bands. This is a pay band 3 position and the salary range is $126,148 to $189,600. Exceptions to the cap of the range may be considered in certain circumstances.
The Executive Director, Information Security Policy and Strategy reports to the VA Deputy Chief Information Officer (DCIO) for Information Security, Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides supervisory oversight for development and promulgation of agency-wide information security/cybersecurity strategy and policy to ensure all VA information systems maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality, integrity, and availability, and is accountable for long-term strategies to address data security and privacy, ensuring compliance with Federal statute/regulations and comprehensively protecting the VA's $4B (annual) globally distributed IT environment supporting approx. 350K VA employees and servicing 20M US Veterans.
- Directs publishing of CS policy, processes, programs, architecture, security control implementation and assessment procedures, security design, security encryption, data file monitoring, and regulating access to safeguard information and providing immediate and continuous CS risk insight.
- Leverages analysis, forensics and reverse engineering to monitor and diagnose malware events, viruses, and critical risks and vulnerability issues, and advises the DCIO/CISO on innovative recommendations for solutions, including hardware and software programs that can help strengthen CS to mitigate risk of future breaches.
- The incumbent oversees development of information security metrics, reports, and dashboards, and serves as the executive level responsible entity for VA information security policy and strategy governance/oversight (including FISMA reporting), representing OIT and VA with external organizations including OMB, Congress, the White House, commercial entities, etc. at key meetings and strategic efforts.
- Leads policy and strategy efforts to codify CS skills and proficiency needed to meet the agile, multi-functional, and dynamic CS workforce requirements in a complex, fast-paced, transformative IT environment.
- Speaks on behalf of the DCIO, for Information Security/CISO, in their absence.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493696300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.