This position is located in the Office of Bridges and Structures within the Office of Infrastructure, Headquarters. You will serve as a Bridge Engineer on the Structural Engineering Team, and fill a highly specialized position focused primarily on bridge and tunnel design, construction, performance, evaluation, operation, and management for safety and security. You will provide technical review and assistance regarding plans and specifications for major, complex and unusual structures. You will also support the development, acceptance and deployment of new and improved techniques for mitigating risks, assuring survival, and post-event return-to-service of structures; and development and implementation of associated engineering criteria and practices.
The ideal candidate is a middle/senior level engineering professional with an advanced degree in engineering, either Civil Engineering or closely related job series, and has demonstrated capability to provide national leadership related to bridge and tunnel safety and security against man-made hazards.
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to the GS-0810, Senior Bridge Engineer, this vacancy is also open to the following Engineers:
- 0801-General Engineer
- 0803-Safety Engineer
- 0804-Fire Protection Engineering
- 0806-Materials Engineer
- 0830-Mechanical Engineer
Learn more about this agency
The Senior Bridge Engineer:
- Supports the Director and Principal Engineers in the Office of Bridges and Structures, and technical specialists for engineers of the FHWA's Headquarters, Resource Center and Field Offices in matters pertaining to bridge performance under man-made hazards.
- Contributes to improvements to national specifications and guidelines on structures design, fabrication and construction for the purpose of inclusion in design and construction manuals and codes.
- Communicates recommendations based on proper interpretation and application of all FHWA policies, procedures, specifications, standards, methods and practices relating to highway structures. Explains, recommends and follows up to resolve conflicts and/or technical issues.
- Prepares or cooperates in the preparation and revision of manuals, guidelines, specifications, standards for design and construction and other materials as applied to area of expertise.
- Collaborates with the Office of Infrastructure Research and Development and the National Highway Institute to establish and conduct current and proposed bridge research and technology transfer projects, identifying national bridge research needs and recommends research and technology transfer programs.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Current/former status employees and VEOA eligible veterans are encouraged to also apply to: FHWA.HIF-2018-0011.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493300700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.