The Congressional Research Service (CRS) seeks a Research Manager for the Executive Branch Operations Section in the Government and Finance Division. The Research Manager leads the Section in the development of policy research and analysis relevant to congressional needs. The section covers a broad array of federal government organization and management issues, including, but not limited to, presidential powers; appointment process; federal workforce; regulatory process; oversight; information policy; budget process; financial management; and procurement.
- Managing and supervising policy analysts, including communicating performance standards and expectations to staff, observing staff performance, giving feedback, and assessing performance;
- Ensuring that the work results in objective, authoritative analysis with which the Congress can assess the consequences of legislative/policy options;
- Proactively establishing relationships with committees of jurisdiction, building long-term relationships with clients, and taking initiative to seek out new congressional contacts for CRS;
- Managing congressional requests, concerns, and needs in policy areas within the research management responsibility of the section;
- Collaborating with other managers to ensure an integrative approach to the work by fully identifying significant policy problems facing the Congress, developing analytical approaches to address these problems, and applying appropriate resources; and
- Performing special assignments as directed by the Assistant/Deputy Assistant Director.
Learn more about this agency
Directly supervises 10-12 staff members in the Executive Branch Operations Section of the Government and Finance Division. Leads staff toward meeting the Library’s and CRS’s vision, mission, and goals by managing performance, communicating effectively, fostering continuous improvement and innovation, building and maintaining relationships, leveraging diversity and inclusiveness, thinking systematically and inspiring change. Exhibits commitment to the Library’s Supervisor Core Competencies.
Manages research, leads staff, and advises the Assistant Director and Deputy Assistant Director. Ensures that research and analysis is conducted in a fully collaborative manner both within and outside the section, reflects the congressional agenda, and is relevant to congressional policy making. Leads, plans, organizes and coordinates research, including major research projects related to sensitive or complex public policies of national or international significance, which are often multidisciplinary in nature, and may include research performed by outside consultants. Ensures that research and analysis undertaken is of the highest quality and meets CRS's standards of objectivity, responsiveness, non-partisanship, balance, timeliness, legislative relevance, authoritativeness, and accessibility. Reviews research to ensure that it complements other Service research and analyses; is accurate, well-organized, and cogent; meets professional and service standards; adheres to CRS policy guidelines; and is responsive to the legislative needs of Members and committees of Congress. Establishes and maintains relationships with Members and committees of Congress.
Contributes to and assists in developing CRS-wide strategic goals and priorities. Communicates those goals and priorities to staff. Oversees the implementation of CRS-wide policies, procedures, standards and guidelines by staff. Effectively communicates management initiatives to staff and ensures that staff are able to acclimate to the changing needs of Congress and the CRS research community. Conveys to senior management information and concerns from staff.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens Only
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493251800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.