The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, has been named one of the Happiest and Safest States in the nation, is home to Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.Learn more about this agency
VA BHHCS is a multi-campus health care system, with approximately 1300 employees, providing primary care, acute medicine, surgery, behavioral health, nursing home and domiciliary care from medical centers located at Fort Meade and Hot Springs, South Dakota as well as a staffed Community Based Outreach Clinic in Rapid City and numerous contracted and staffed clinics in Western South Dakota, Northern Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. The VA BHHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN 23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
The Medical Supply Technician positions are located in the Sterile Processing Service, within the Black Hills Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Fort Meade or Hot Springs, South Dakota.
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Collects, processes and decontaminates soiled supplies, instruments and equipment; instrument preparation and sterilization; medical equipment maintenance, receiving, storing, and distribution of surgical and medical instruments and equipment.
- Determines the proper techniques for pickup, transportation, cleaning, and disinfecting contaminated items.
- Packages items to be individually packaged, determines the method of sterilization, applies a chemical indicator, labels the package with the proper name of the item, and loads the item into the appropriate sterilizer.
- Selects correct sterilizing medium and cycles and operates sterilizers.
- Maintains records of all sterilization procedures.
- Assembles, packages, wraps, and sterilizes medical supply items, and performs comprehensive sterilization testing procedures utilizing microorganisms and chemical reactive testing to ensure all sterilization parameters are being met by sterilizer chambers.
Telework: Not available
Position Description/PD#: /20258A, 20257A, 20055A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not available
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493247600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.