This position is located in the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition in College Park, MD.Learn more about this agency
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Develops information on the incidence and levels of contamination of foods by pesticide residues and other chemical contaminants and the relationship of contamination to agricultural and manufacturing practices.
- Serves as an agency expert on pesticide policy related questions
- including fully understanding and interpreting the provisions of the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, Food Quality Protection Act and Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act.
- Identifies areas where technological evidence and data are needed and makes recommendations regarding such research
- Develops and Implements policies and programs; provides policy and program advice.
- Prepares memoranda of status reports and position papers on important questions arising (within FDA, nationally, and internationally [Codex]) in the area of pesticide residues and other chemical contaminants.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- CItizenship Requirement: You must be a U.S. Citizen to be considered for this advertisement.
- Time-in-Grade Requirement: To quality for this position you must meet the time-in-grade requirements described in the Qualifications section, generally, 52-weeks of comparable experience at the next lowest grade.
- Selective Service Registration: All males born on, or after, 12/31/1959, must be registered with the Selective Service OR have an approved exemption.
- FDA participates in e-Verify: All new hires must complete the I-9 form; this information will be processed through e-Verify to determine employment eligibility. If a discrepency arises, you must take affirmative steps to resolve the problem.
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will require passing a background investigation. Not meeting this requirement may be grounds for personnel action. If hired, you may be have a background check at a later time.
- Certification of Accuracy: All information concerning qualification for employment is subject to investigation and verification. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- Direct Deposit: You will be required to have your federal salary payments electronically deposited into an account with a financial institution of your choice.
- You must meet ALL requirements by the closing date of this announcement to be considered. Only education, experience, and time-in-grade qualifications attained by this date will be considered.
QualificationsIn order to qualify for Chemist, 1320, at GS - 14, you must meet Time-in-Grade requirements by 03/22/2018.
Bachelor's or higher degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Combination of education and experience -- Course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements described above, you must meet the following additional qualification requirements:
Have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service, to include 1) developing information on the levels of chemical contamination in foods; including pesticides in foods; 2) determining corrective regulatory measures in order to enforce compliance in the agricultural and food processing industries for chemical contamination in domestic and imported foods.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
You must submit documentation to verify your eligibility to apply for this vacancy. For most applicants, an SF-50 will be required. However, if you are applying based as a Veteran, person with a disability, or a displaced former employee, you will be required to provide other supporting documents as applicable. See the Required Documents section for more details.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Immunization required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 03/22/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointees FAQ - OPM
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, required: This position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation. If you are hired, you may be required to divest of certain financial interests. You are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting any job offers.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 03/22/2018), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for this internal position. Eligible internal candidates will be referred to the hiring official for consideration.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies/KSA's.
- Knowledge of Chemical Contamination in domestic and imported foods by pesticide residues
- Planning and Evaluating
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are ACCEPTED for this vacancy:
- Cover Letter
- PHS Form 7063
- Other Veterans Document
"Accepted" means that you will have the opportunity to submit these documents if they are applicable to you. Such documents include Veteran Preference or other special eligibility documentation, transcripts, or other optional documentation that helps us determine your eligibility. The above list of documents may not apply to all applicants.
The following documents are REQUIRED for this vacancy:
"Required" indicates that the above documents are required to determine your qualification for this vacancy. These documents are collected from ALL applicants and failing to provide any of these documents may result in your application being deemed incomplete or not qualified. Pay close attention to the list above to ensure you are providing all of the documentation we need to consider your application.
FDA EMPLOYEE DOCUMENATION REQUIREMENTS FOR SF-50:
Current and former Federal employees: You will need to submit a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action). To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- Appointment type;
- Occupational series;
- Pay plan, series, grade, and step;
- Tenure code; and
- Service Computation Date (SCD).
Displaced Federal employees who qualify for CTAP/ICTAP: If you are a former Federal employee who was displaced due to a Reduction-in-Force (RIF) or surplused by some other means, please submit a copy of the separation letter or RIF notice from your agency. To be selected under I/CTAP, you must still be found well-qualified for this position. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transition for more information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the assessment questionnaire and submit all documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To receive consideration for this position you must submit your complete application by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement (03/22/2018).
Instructions for applying to this job:
- You must be signed in to USAJOBS. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you must first create one before you can apply
- If you are signed in, you can tap/click "Apply Online" to begin the process.
- USAJOBS will ask you to select a resume to submit. We recommend that you submit a USAJOBS Resume Builder formatted resume so that you know you're submitting all the information we will need. You may also submit a resume in the format of your choice. For tips on what to include in your resume, see the USAJOBS Resume Help site.
- USAJOBS will then allow you to include documentation from your USAJOBS Saved Documents area. You may also attach additional supporting documents during this stage, or you may wait until you reach Application Manager.
- You will then be required to respond to certify your application materials and you'll be given the chance to elect to provide demographic information (if you have completed this part of your USAJOBS profile).
- Finally, you will be transferred to FDA's Application Manager (USA Staffing) system to complete the occupational questionnaire and finalize your application for submission. Follow the on-screen instructions provided and respond to ALL questions presented to you. You will be allowed to finalize and submit additional documents one last time. You will review your application and make final submission. You will then be returned back to USAJOBS.
- If you need to make a change to your application, or if you just want to know your application status, you will need to be logged in to your USAJOBS account. Tap/click on your name in the top-right corner, then select "Applications".
- You will see a list of the most recent applications you have submitted. Tap/click on the one you wish to review or edit. The item will expand and provide your current status, along with additional information about that application. If you wish to change something then tap/click the "Update Application" button.
- You will be taken through the same steps you did when you initially applied. You can make changes to add or remove supporting documents before being transferred over to FDA's Application Manager system where you can continue making changes to your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Step through the process as you did the first time, taking care to make the changes you need, and submitting in the final step.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Bethesda Customer Help Desk at (888) 478-4340; TTY/TDD: (800) 877-8339; or by email email@example.com. (In your e-mail request, please replace the blank line with the Vacancy Identification Number, VIN, for this job, which is: 10143316. Decisions for granting a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. The Applicant Help Desk is staffed from the hours of 7am to 6pm Eastern Time.
Agency contact information
FDA Applicant Help Desk
AddressFDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
10903 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20993
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We strive to make selections within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will application status updates via email and via USAJOBS as the process unfolds.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493208300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.