As a major agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is dedicated to ensuring that America’s transportation system is the best in the world through its roles as Leaders for National Mobility, Stewards for National Highway Programs, and as Innovators for a Better Future.Learn more about this agency
The New York Division has one of the most complex and politically sensitive transportation programs in the Nation and leads a state of practice in all aspects of transportation including innovative financing. The Division Administrator represents FHWA in New York and works cooperatively with officials from Federal, State and local agencies, and the transportation industry in promoting technology and innovation deployment, accelerating critical infrastructure projects, and solving urban congestion, environment, and other transportation system challenges.
The candidate of this position is responsible for providing executive direction to advance, implement, and administer the fourth largest Federal-aid program in the Nation.
As the Division Administrator, you will:
- Provide national leadership and direction to a staff of 41 transportation professionals in administering a very complex $1.7 billion Federal-aid highway program to reduce fatalities, construct new and improve current infrastructure, and improve movement of people and goods.
- Build and enhance coalitions with Federal Agencies, State and local governments, and transportation industry partners to address and resolve extremely complex and controversial transportation issues in a geographically diverse State and one of the world’s most congested urban areas.
- Provide executive leadership and direction in advancing U.S. Department of Transportation and FHWA strategic initiatives and innovative technologies to expedite the delivery of critical national infrastructure projects for improving the condition of highways and bridges, and the economic vitality of the nation.
- Communicate a corporate perspective to all elements of the New York State government, the local authorities of NYC, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, as well as 13 statewide metropolitan planning organizations.
- Serve as the senior advisor to the FHWA’s Director of Field Services North and the Office of the FHWA Administrator on policy, program, and technical issues, particularly with regard to the effect on Federal-aid program and management and on Federal/State relationships.
Occasional travel - Frequent Travel is required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified U.S. citizens.
Senior Executive Service
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493136000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.