This announcement is being limited to the first 100 applications received. The announcement will close either on the published closing date at 11:59pm (EST) or on the day when the number of applications reaches 100 at 11:59pm (EST), whichever comes first.
This Field Examiner position is for the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Administration, Salt Lake City and out-based in Oakland, CA. The incumbent determines the payee (fiduciary), best suited to the needs and situation of VA beneficiaries, who are incompetent due to legal disability, mental disability, physical disability or minority. The Field Examiner ensures that incompetent beneficiaries receive all the benefits they are entitled to, and takes necessary actions to protect their assets.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
- The grade progression for this position is GS-9/11.
Position Description/PD#: Field Examiner/ 36002A and 35902A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Required Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent evaluates psychiatric and/or court determinations of incompetence by means of field investigations to arrive at independent determinations of whether or not adult VA beneficiaries have the mental capacity to handle their own funds.
- Performs on-site fact-finding to ascertain the total of a beneficiary's income, assets and obligations to inspect the environmental setting, and to assess the social, economic and industrial adjustment.
- Develops information through observation, analysis of records, personal interviews, and depositions of beneficiaries, their relatives and/or disinterested witnesses in the community
- Verifies evidence to establish accuracy and authenticity. In the case of a minor beneficiary, verifies or determines the existence, identity, and custody of the minor.
- When a fiduciary is required, determines the most effective, practical and/or economical pay arrangement based on the beneficiary's situation.
- On a routine basis, the incumbent in this position will be required to operate a government-owned motor vehicle; therefore, incumbent must possess a valid state driver's license.
76% or greater - Periodic overnight travel may be required based on mission needs; up to three weeks travel per month is possible.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493126900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.