The incumbent serves as a Medical Technologist in the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (P&LMS) at the Fresno VA Central California Healthcare System, CA. The Medical Technologist performs routine and STAT testing on blood, urine and other body fluids. Technical disciplines include: transfusion medicine, clinical chemistry, toxicology, immunology, hematology, urinalysis and microbiology. The laboratory provides diagnostic services in support of inpatient, outpatient and emergency room care 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 3p.m. to 11p.m. OR Monday-Friday, 7a.m. to 3:30p.m. With rotating weekends and holidays
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required.
Assigned duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs manual compatibility testing and issues blood components in the transfusion medicine section; performs clinical chemistry and toxicology testing on automated and semi- automated instruments; performs immunology testing on automated instruments; performs serology testing using manual methods; performs blood cell counting on automated hematology instruments; performs manual microscopic exams of blood cells; performs cell counting and microscopic exams of body fluid specimens using automated manual methods; performs urinalysis using automated and manual methods; performs culture inoculation and staining of specimens including urine, sputum, feces, abscess material, and body fluid specimens; examines bacterial growth for evaluation and identification of microorganisms.
- Stores and prepares reagents, standards, and calibrators. Maintains, calibrates, cleans, and effects repairs of laboratory equipment and instrumentation. Documents those functions and informs supervisory staff of any problems encountered.
- Maintains, calibrates, cleans, and effects repairs of laboratory equipment and instrumentation. Documents those functions and informs supervisory staff of any problems encountered.
- Prepares, tests, records, and interprets quality control materials. Takes corrective action for out of-control results, and immediately notifies supervisory staff of any problems encountered.
- Tests, verifies, and reports patient test results in accordance with established protocols. Recognizes and responds to indications of malfunctions in testing and reporting.
- Utilizes computer systems as needed to perform duties assigned. Complies with all rules to ensure data security and confidentiality of patient records.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492957400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.