This position is located in the Safety Assurance and Risk Management Division, Office of Systems Safety in the Transit Safety Oversight Office, Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Department of Transportation.Learn more about this agency
The Safety Assurance and Risk Management Division is responsible for developing and implementing technical programs and projects to improve safety management and oversight of the Nation’s transit systems. The overall goal of the FTA’s Safety Management Program is to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from transit incidents and accidents on the Nation’s transit systems.
As a track engineer, you will be expected to provide technical expertise and assistance in the area of rail transit track safety. You will be responsible for identifying, detecting and developing solutions to improve the safety of rail transit track on the Nation’s rail transit systems. You will also provide general engineering expertise and support to technical elements of FTA’s overall safety management oversight program, in areas such as engineering issues of accident investigations, safety oversight compliance reviews, safety research projects, safety standards and track design and review of FTA funded rail transit capital projects.
The ideal candidate for this position should have experience conducting technical analyses and engineering studies of track safety to ensure compliance with industry safety standards, regulations and procedures.
If interviewed for this position – at the interview stage, candidates will be given a topic to use to draft a writing sample.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for these locations.
The General Engineer (Tracks):
- Helps identify safety problem areas and recommend safety improvements needed to achieve FTA safety goals and objectives.
- Reviews and update publications, regulations, directives, draft orders, circulars and other industry technical assistance guidance for rail transit safety management and oversight
- Assists in developing plans for office compliance with new directives or policies concerning technical issues.
- Consults and/or coordinates with other specialists in the Division, such as Engineers, Program Analysts, Policy Analysts, Regional Safety Officers and Accident Investigators, as needed, to clarify or resolve issues and problems related to rail transit safety.
- Leads teams or participates in oversight activities, such as process reviews, product evaluations, and in-depth technical studies of Federal safety programs; advise on problems and deficiencies, prepare reports and analysis, coordinate corrective actions, review and evaluate practices, and share innovative practices, procedures and technologies.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current Federal Employees
- Former Federal Employees
- Overseas Employees
- Merit Promotion
- Status Candidates
- Schedule A
- Individuals with Disabilities
- Military Spouses
- Peace Corp
- 30% Disabled
- Fulbright Fellows, Gilman Scholarship, and Critical Language Scholarship Program alumni
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492854400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.