This position is located in the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Chicago, IL Regional Office. The transit programs of Region V are characterized by the highest degree of complexity and sensitivity due to the number of persons served, the type and number of on-going projects, the involvement of large sums of money/complex financial arrangements, the coordination of different transit needs, the involvement of multiple governmental jurisdiction and the level of particularly complex; novel and politically sensitive issues.
The Region V, Office of Program Management & Oversight manages some of most sophisticated transit operators and transit system network in the United States. The Region V program experiences intense scrutiny by the public, elected officials of all levels, and the media. Assignments will include several programs involving major investment projects, full funding grant agreement negotiations, FTA quarterly review meetings, the project management oversight program and related activities. You will work under the general supervision of the Office Director.
This position is perfect for a General Engineer with experience in engineering design with construction principles to include risk assessment and administering Federal grants.
- If selected for an interview for this position- at the interview stage, candidates will be given a particular topic to use to draft a writing sample.
- This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for these locations.
Learn more about this agency
As a General Engineer, you will:
- Have a detailed oversight of grantee efforts related to Program Management and Engineering for assigned grantees involving all FTA funding programs. Serve as General Engineer in all elements of the Region's Project Management Oversight Consultant program engaged in detailed oversight of major construction projects and complicated capital programs; consult and provide engineering and project management.
- Ensure that projects are properly designed, constructed and managed to achieve the approved purpose and are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Participate in risk analysis in major capital projects and determines that each element of the project is safe, technically feasible and cost effective. Participate in the development of Full Funding Grant Agreements for major capital projects and the management of New Start projects under FFGAs and the FTA Project Management Oversight Contractors (PMOC).
- Provide engineering advice in the management and oversight of all aspects of FTA-funded programs and projects include the following areas: technical capacity, project engineering, maintenance and operations, safety and security, Buy America requirements, cost and schedule estimates and risk management.
- Examine and develop project progress reports, financial statements and schedules and compare them with the latest approved budgets and schedules noting any significant cost increases and slippage.
- Review and evaluate grantee project cost, schedule, scope, and quality documents; monitor project development to ensure that projects are properly designed and managed.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current Federal Employees
- Former Federal Employees
- Overseas Employees
- Merit Promotion
- Status Candidates
- Schedule A
- Individuals with Disabilities
- Military Spouses
- Peace Corp
- 30% Disabled
- Fulbright Fellows, Gilman Scholarship, and Critical Language Scholarship Program alumni
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492366200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.