Become a part of the nation's largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system - the Department of Veterans Affairs' Veterans Health Administration - joining the team at a premiere VA facility, the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center. Located in historic downtown Charleston, SC, the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is a tertiary care teaching hospital providing the highest level quality for more than 75,000 Veterans along the South Carolina and Georgia coast. The Ralph H. Johnson VA is rated is the second fastest growing VA in the U.S. for percentage patient growth. For the past three years, the Charleston VA has been rated a 5-Star medical center for quality and efficiency, the highest possible rating according to VA's Strategic Analytics for Improvement and Learning Value (SAIL) model . The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is a regional referral center for robotic surgery and orthopedics, and is a recognized leader in Tele-Mental Health providing care for Veterans throughout the Southeast and across the country through its National Tele-Mental Health Hub. The 152 bed hospital includes six outpatient clinics, a 20 bed nursing home, women's health, and the full range of inpatient and outpatient care including Medical and Surgical Intensive Care. The VAMC provides more than 934,000 outpatient visits and approximately 4,300 inpatient stays annually. The VAMC has an annual budget of $525 million and research funding of more than $28 million. For more information, visit www.charleston.va.gov.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: 7:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. Rotating Weekends. Overtime/Shift/Weekend/Holiday work may be required as deemed by management.
The incumbent highly skilled professional who works closely with other nursing and medical staff to ensure that all patients in the intensive care unit receive optimal care. This nurse with assistance will be able to diagnose, monitor and treat patient responses to life-threatening health problem and coordinate the care delivered by various health care providers. This nurse is responsible for administering, monitoring, documenting, and evaluating therapeutic interventions and regimens specific to ICU patients. The nurse uses independent and multidisciplinary collaborative interventions to restore patient stability, anticipate patient care needs, prevent complications and achieve and maintain optimal patient responses. The nurse will assess patient's potential for wellness and responses to various treatment strategies. He/she possesses the knowledge and skills to effectively apply all aspects of the nursing process within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting to facilitate the effective care of patients.
The incumbent is responsible for administering, monitoring, documenting, and evaluating therapeutic interventions and regimens specific to ICU patients. This includes but is not limited to:
- Identifies physiological, psychological, social and environmental variable affecting the functional status of the critical care patient. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the various ages of adult and geriatric patients in the critical care area.
- Capable of assessing data reflective of the patient's status and interpreting the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their physical, emotional, and age specific needs. Provides care as needed with as described in the medical center and intensive care policies and procedures.
- Plans and direct nursing care of ICU patients admitted to or referred from other services via contributions to the plan of care. Assures implementation of the plan of care.
- Assists staff as needed in providing care for identified patients and families. Prepares professional clinical documentation of patient care and, in conjunction with the Nurse Manager, holds nursing staff accountable for same.
- Role models the nurse as a professional who maintains a high standard of practice in giving direct care to patients with complex needs Participates in interdisciplinary patient care rounds.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491926900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.