This position is located in the Legal Division, Supervision and Legislation Branch, Legislation, Regulations, and Bank Activities Section, Bank Activities Unit of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Washington, DC, and performs policy-oriented legal work relating to supervisory and regulatory functions.Learn more about this agency
Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement to fill identical vacancies that occur subsequent to this announcement.
- Performs policy-oriented legal work relating to the supervisory and regulatory functions, with particular emphasis on the development of regulations, legislation, and legal/supervisory policy guidance, and the interpretation and application of the statutes and regulations governing the activities, operations, and structure of financial institutions.
- Handles a substantial case load consisting of the most, significant, and precedent-setting matters relating to areas of responsibility assigned to the Bank Activities Unit, and reviews the work of other attorneys in those areas, ensuring quality and consistency of legal advice rendered.
- Prepares legal advisory opinions advising the Board of Directors, the Chairman, and other divisions or offices (1) on the interpretation, construction, and enforceability of provisions of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (FDI Act), and other statutes and regulations applicable to financial institutions that are insured, examined, supervised, or regulated by the FDIC; and (2) with respect to filings for FDIC deposit insurance, mergers, branches, relocations, retirement of capital, changes in control, mutual to stock conversions, requests for consent to conduct expanded activities, and other matters requiring FDIC decisions.
- Prepares legal advisory opinions in response to questions and issues raised by insured financial institutions, bankers, financial institution counsel, members of Congress, financial institution depositors and customers, relating to the interpretation of FDI Act, Federal banking, securities, and derivatives laws and regulations, and various statutes and regulations governing the activities, operations, and structure of open operating financial institutions, including rules governing federal deposit insurance coverage.
- Participates substantially in the formulation of corporate policy affecting financial institution supervision through the development, proposal, and amendment of regulations for presentation to and adoption by the FDIC’s Board of Directors
and in ensuring that the regulations and policies comply with all applicable legal and technical requirements (e.g. Administrative Procedure Act, Paperwork Reduction Act, Regulatory Flexibility Act.).
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All United States Citizens.
(Current FDIC employees should apply under FDIC announcement 2018-HQ-B0069. However, if you desire consideration under both, you must apply to both.)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491293500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.