The FTC is seeking an antitrust attorney to work in its Western Region office in San Francisco. The Western Region office carries out the Commission's antitrust and consumer protection programs. The Western Region Office works to prevent anticompetitive mergers and other anticompetitive business practices, and to safeguard the public by eliminating fraud and deception in the marketplace. To accomplish this, staff investigates alleged violations of law, reviews Hart-Scott-Rodino merger filings, represents the Commission in federal district court litigation, negotiates settlements, and conducts formal litigation before Administrative Law Judges. The Northeast Region encompasses the geographical area that includes California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, and Arizona. Cases sometimes involve work and travel outside this geographical area.Learn more about this agency
If you are selected to fill this attorney position in the Western Region Office, you will work primarily on enforcing laws related to antitrust matters, although, given the demands on the office, you may be called on from time to time to work on consumer protection matters as well. You will perform a variety of legal duties including:
- Making initial determinations as to whether matters should be investigated;
- Determining legal theories and plans for investigations;
- Conducting and managing investigations, including interviewing and deposing witnesses, and reviewing and analyzing documents;
- Working with economists;
- Drafting complaints, memoranda, briefs and other documents, such as discovery requests and responses;
- Preparing for trial, litigating, and negotiating settlements in competition matters;
- Representing the FTC in trials and hearings;
- Engaging in advocacy and outreach to federal, state and local partners, as well as business and consumer groups.
Occasional travel - up to 25%
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U. S. Citizens & qualified candidates
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491055700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.