OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
Since 1953, VAMC Durham has been improving the health of the men and women who have so proudly served our nation. We consider it our privilege to serve your health care needs in any way we can. Services are available to more than 200,000 veterans living in a 26-county area of central and eastern North Carolina. In addition to our main facility in Durham, we offer services in three community-based outpatient clinics. These clinics are located in
· Raleigh, North Carolina
· Greenville, North Carolina
· Morehead City, North Carolina
Work Schedule: Incumbents must be able to work one of the following 10 hour shifts; (SHIFT DETERMINED BY SENIORITY)
A Watch (Mids): 10:00pm-8:00am
B Watch (Days): 6:00am-4:00pm
C Watch (Eves): 1:00pm -11:00pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Lead Police Officer/6381
Serves as a Work Leader; the position is assigned to the Lieutenant who works under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief of Police. The primary duties of the position are to ensure that the work assignments of the other subordinate personnel are engaged in law enforcement duties for the medical center. Below are examples of duties (but not limited to):
· Ability to pursue, apprehend and arrest persons fleeing from crime scenes.
· Ability to maintain LETC Instructor certifications.
· Knowledge of jurisdiction and how they apply in areas of responsibility.
· Ability to issue violation notices and prepare police reports for violators for appearances in court.
· Ability to perform other duties such as Armorer, Evidence Custodian, Direct Criminal Inquiry Terminal Access Coordinator (DCI TAC), etc.
· Ability to develop and follow leads, take statements and gather other information to analyze facts and identify suspects during an investigation.
· Knowledge of directing crime and accident scenes.
· Ability to direct traffic and control the movement of vehicles and pedestrians; report traffic safety hazards and issue citations for violations.
· Skill in controlling personnel access; recommending changes to reduce opportunities for theft and/or illegal entry and patrolling medical center's sensitive and restricted areas.
· Ability to communicate orally and/or written with diverse populations.
· Ability to train subordinate employees in various law enforcement related computer systems.
· Skill in communicating with supervisors and other management officials to complete assigned tasks.
· Ability to report to supervisor(s) on employee performance; recommends performance rating, disciplinary actions, progress, training needs and coordinate short-term leave.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This Is Not a virtual position.
Position Description Title/PD#: LEAD POLICE OFFICER/ 6381
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…CURRENT POLICE SERVICE POLICE OFFICERS ONLY
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490878100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.