This position is being advertised concurrently with CC-18-PQ10132216 (MP) which is open to status candidates and other eligibles and applies Merit Promotion procedures. Status applicants who wish to be considered under both Merit Promotion and Competitive Examining procedures must apply directly to each announcement.Learn more about this agency
This position is also being announced at the GL-06/07/08 grades at Announcement Number CC-18-PQ10132217 (DE) and CC-18-PQ10132218 (MP). If you wish to be considered at those grades, you must apply to that vacancy. Vacancies may be filled from any of these announcements.
Indian Affairs provides services to 567 federally recognized tribes with a population of about 1.9 million American Indian and Alaska Natives. Indian Affairs offers an extensive range of programs such as social services, law enforcement and detention services, administration of tribal courts, natural resources management, economic development, implementation of land and water claim settlements, housing improvement, disaster relief, and the replacement and maintenance of schools, roads, and bridges.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 (Title 25, USC, Section 472). Verification Form BIA-4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. Indian Preference eligibles not currently employed in Federal service may be appointed under the Excepted Service Appointment Authority Schedule A, 213.3112(a)(7). Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants in the absence of qualified Indian Preference eligibles. For more information about Indian preference or to obtain BIA Form 4432 application instructions, please see https://www.bia.gov/jobs.
This position is located with Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Justice Services, District 5-Wind River Agency in Fort Washakie, Wyoming. The Office of Justice Services is searching for an individual to serve as a Police Officer. The mission of the Office of Justice Services is to uphold the constitutional sovereignty and customs of Tribes while protecting the rights of the people; protect life and property; ensure employment suitability; and promote and preserve peace within Indian country.
All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2018 pay charts here , select the chart for Fort Washakie, Wyoming. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart.
As a Police Officer, GL-0083-4/5 your typical work assignments and/or responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responds to calls concerning felonies, emergencies, traffic accidents, drug charges, altercations, and misdemeanors under Federal, State, local, and tribal laws; investigates, apprehends, arrests, and detains all persons charged with violations.
- Maintains law and order within the area of assignments by patrolling in a patrol vehicle, investigating suspicious situations, and taking action as appropriate.
- Performs such assignments as working radar on busy highways, participating in night surveillance in high crime areas, and participating in traffic and crowd control activities.
- Makes arrests in cases of crime or misdemeanors personally witnessed; takes persons arrested to appropriate authorities for booking or formal charging.
- Serves Federal, State, local, or tribal warrants, subpoenas, and other court papers; testifies at hearings and trials as a government witness in Federal, State, local or tribal courts as required.
- Prepares and submits reports of incidents or traffic accidents, daily, and weekly activities, and narratives and statistical reports as required.
TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required up to 6 to 10 nights per month.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens; Indian Preference Eligibles (must submit a BIA Form 4432)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490537900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.