The Office of Associate Chief Counsel (Financial Institutions and Products- FIP) employs approximately 60 attorneys who work in Washington DC. FIP attorneys provide legal advice and litigation support on tax matters involving financial institutions and the taxation of financial products, that includes financial institutions and products include banks, thrift institutions, insurance companies, regulated investment companies, real estate investment trusts, asset securitization arrangements, life insurance contracts, annuities, options, futures contracts, original issue discount obligations, hedging arrangements, tax exempt and tax credit bonds, and other types of innovative financial instruments and entities.Learn more about this agency
This position is located at IRS, Office of Chief Counsel 1111 Constitution Ave., NW, Room 3547, Washington, DC 20224
The selectees will serve in General Jurisdiction Branches.
As a Senior Attorney, you will serve as an expert in several specific areas of tax law.
- Considers suggestions for changes in the Internal Revenue laws and other Federal laws relating to the issues under the jurisdiction of the Division Counsel/Associate Chief Counsel or Associate Chief Counsel.
- Identifies regulartory and tax administration issues raised by those laws.
- Responds to requests for legal opinions on the application or interpretation of the Internal Revenue laws and other laws.
- Analyzes requests for advisory opinions, private letter rulings, technical advice, and Chief Counsel Advice on complex issues.
- Participates in the development and administration of tax treaties and other international orgainizations.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. citizens and U.S. Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Bargaining Unit (BU) Chief Counsel Employees will be given first consideration. To receive first consideration, BU Chief Counsel employees seeking reassignment must be on the Master First Consideration List. The Master First Consideration List in regards to this announcement is for reassignment only for employees currently occupying BU positions. If you are applying for a promotion, please apply to the announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490113500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.