The closing date has been extended to 02/21/2018.Learn more about this agency
GAO's Office of the General Counsel is seeking an experienced attorney for the team of attorneys that provides legal advice and assistance to GAO’s Natural Resources and Environment (NRE) analyst team and the Comptroller General of the United States, Congress, and others.
The attorney will work on a wide variety of issues associated with federal efforts to manage our nation’s land and water resources, protect the environment, promote a reliable and environmentally sound energy supply, ensure food safety, manage agricultural programs, meet the nation’s science challenges, and address U.S. and international nuclear security and cleanup. The attorney will work collaboratively with GAO analysts and other attorneys to handle and resolve numerous complex, controversial, and far-reaching legal problems as part of NRE’s work.
Attorneys with experience in energy (oil and gas development, electricity, and related areas), intellectual property, and science and technology law and policy, or related fields, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Researching and applying the law in the conduct of performance audits of agency programs and activities.
- Providing legal counsel on a broad range of environmental, energy, and natural resources policy and other issues.
- Reviewing GAO products to ensure they reflect an accurate and objective understanding and application of the law as it relates to the federal program or activity under review.
- Providing legal assistance and support to clients providing congressional testimony.
- Analyzing legislative proposals to determine potential effects and implications for federal policies and GAO.
- Drafting legal memoranda, legal opinions, and sections of audit reports.
- Providing technical and legislative drafting expertise to Congress.
- Briefing congressional staff on legal matters covered by GAO reviews.
Occasional travel - .
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490077700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.