THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN, Position Description Number D2151000and is part of the MI 127 Wing, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN, GS-0503-8
This position is located in the Air National Guard (ANG) Flying Wing, Comptroller Flight, Financial Management Section. The purpose of this position is to provide analysis, validation, processing and correction of financial transactions and issues/problems involving the full range of financial management services and accounting functions. Incumbent uses complete understanding of interrelated systems and processes across multiple functional areas and their interoperability to ensure the validity and accuracy of all disbursements, collections, and adjustments related to financial records.
(1) Performs broad-in-depth financial analysis of interrelated accounting, logistics and computer file systems concerning pay, accounts payable or receivable, and various travel entitlements to resolve especially difficult and sensitive, out-of-balance conditions associated with processing actions within Financial Management systems.
(2) Performs in-depth analysis on complicated pay, travel, accounts payable and receivable and fiscal accounting activity issues involving substantial corrective action and/or complicated adjustments and resolves issues, including assessing unusual circumstances or conditions.
(3) Analyzes particular facts of financial transaction problems/issues, verifies and evaluates data; obtains additional information to reconcile discrepancies or inconsistencies; and, applies pertinent Fiscal Laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and procedures to determine appropriate action for resolution.
(4) Analyzes and resolves tax processing problems based on airmen inquiries or internal control audits/reviews, ranging from Permanent Change of Station (PCS) issues and combat tax exclusion pay to refunds of erroneous tax collection.
(5) Interprets data to identify problems, determines nature of the problem or issue, decides approaches to resolve issues, and recommends solutions for systemic changes to enhance operations.
(6) Incumbent researches, interprets, analyzes, and applies regulations, policies, procedures, and legal decisions to work and/or resolve complex fiscal issues/problems regardless of the technical difficulties encountered.
(7) Performs or conducts research, investigates and solves problems involving discrepancy reconciliations of (Electronic Funds Transfer rejects, pay/personnel or travel mismatches) to identify, analyze and provide solutions regarding multiple entitlements, payments to personnel in various duty statuses and assorted payments to commercial vendors, including computation of interest due.
(8) Performs varied duties, involving financial services payment systems (travel, accounts payable, and pay; for example, Joint Uniform Military Pay System Uniform Standard Terminal Input System (JUMPS), Defense MilPay Office (DMO), Reserve Travel System (RTS), Air Reserve Order Writing System (AROWS), and Defense Travel System (DTS).
(9) Determines appropriate pay, allowances, and entitlements resulting from multiple military and civilian statuses, to include: Title 10 Active Duty; Title 32 Inactive Duty for Training, Annual Training, Active Duty for Training, Active Guard and Reserve, and Active Duty for Operational Support (ADOS).
(10) Analyzes and processes transactions directly with U.S. Treasury and local financial institutions to ensure credits and collections are accomplished in a timely manner in accordance with law, regulation and policy.
(11) Uses computer master file systems, document processing and the effects of transactions on existing records to modify normal automated processes while protecting historical data.
(12) Determines appropriate payments to vendors by applying Prompt Payment Act, tax law, contract law, account code structure, invoice processes, and Grants and Cooperative Agreement regulations and guidelines.
(13) Audits the full range of pay, travel, and accounts payable authorizations and entitlements to determine compliance with multiple laws, regulations, policies and issuances.
(14) Schedules, runs, and analyzes various financial system reports, such as daily activity reports, error/reject reports, status reports, discrepancy and mismatch reports, transaction reports, and ad hoc reports.
(15) Responds to requests for assistance/information from multiple sources, to include airmen, civilian employees, family members, unit supervisory personnel, Inspectors General (IG), Investigating Officers (IO), state and federal political members, and vendors.
(16) Performs other duties as assigned
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens. Area 1 - Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard. Area 2 - Open to current members of the Michigan National Guard. Area 3 - Open to applicants willing and eligible to join the Michigan National Guard (contact a recruiter).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/489915400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.