THIS VACANCY HAS BEEN AMENDED TO EXTEND THE CLOSING DATELearn more about this agency
This position is located in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) of the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent Federal Agency of the U.S. Government. The incumbent provides leadership, oversight, and support to the multiple practice groups within OGC, as well as providing direct legal support to Agency leadership and senior management in carrying all functions necessary for operating a federal agency and an international media organization.
The Agency is led by a Chief Executive Officer and a multi-member Board, which includes the Secretary of State. The incumbent's role includes providing legal advice to these senior officials; to the head of the Voice of America and other major international news-media organizations; and journalists and staff around the world. An overview of our office's exciting practice, and the duties of this position are provided in the next section (under "Responsibilities").
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY: The BBG operates one of the world's largest news media networks, bringing news, information, and relevant discussions to a weekly audience of over 278 million people worldwide, in over 100 countries in over 60 languages via radio, television, Internet, and social media. The BBG network is comprised of five major international broadcasters: the Voice of America (VOA), Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio and Television Marti, Radio Free Asia, and the Middle East Broadcast Networks. Our networks carry out a shared mission vital to U.S. national interests: "to inform, engage, and connect people around the world in support of freedom and democracy." Our agency is unique in the federal government: we create, produce, and broadcast news around the world. We do so for people whose governments limit or block their people's access to a free press, or who simply lack sources of reliable news on events in their own countries, the United States, or around the world. A statutory firewall ensures that Agency has editorial independence, meaning our news is free from any partisan or political interference, and adheres to the "highest professional standards" of journalism. We develop and utilize cutting edge software and IT tools to get through the firewalls of countries like Iran and China which seek to block their people's access to news and information.
NOTE: Applications may be considered on a rolling basis until selection is made.
PRACTICE OF LAW AT THE BBG (IN GENERAL): The practice of law of BBG is unique within the federal government.
- The BBG is primarily a news organization, meaning that all BBG OGC attorneys gain expertise in the practice of media law, supporting journalists operating around the globe. In that regard, OGC deals with those matters that impact all media organizations, including intellectual property and licensing; transmission of our content via terrestrial antenna, satellite, internet, and social media; and press freedom and first amendment issues.
- We are also a government agency and so our practice also deals with the multitude of legal issues that any government law office deals, including federal contracting; federal employment and labor law; appropriation and fiscal law; grant law; and FOIA and ethics.
- We operate around the world, which means that we routinely deal with matters of foreign law and international law, including matters foreign labor law, foreign litigation; trade and economic sanctions; and international agreements.
- Finally, our agency is also officially part of the United States Foreign Policy community. We work closely with the State Department and their Legal Adviser's office on many matters, and in many instances with National Security Council and other aspects of the White House.
The Deputy General Counsel serves as the principal assistant to the General Counsel (GC). In partnership with the GC, the incumbent manages a medium sized legal office, supporting the multiple practice areas in Office of the GC (OGC). In doing so, the incumbent directly provides or manages the provision of legal advice across the many, often complex actions the Agency undertakes in its unique role operating and overseeing a major global media organization. This includes the provision of legal support to the Agency's Chief Executive Officer and Board; to the head of the Voice of America and the other BBG networks; other senior agency managers; and journalists and staff around the world.
Accordingly, the Incumbent's duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing appropriate management, direction, and oversight to Associate General Counsels and their teams of Assistant General Counsels and legal support professionals.
- Ensuring the provision of top notch and definitive legal advice and support on all aspects of actions by the Agency, including by proactively identifying and mitigating legal risk; developing clear processes and lines of communication with and between clients; and fostering and maintaining a culture of customer service.
- Overseeing coordination of agency legal services and advice within OGC practice groups, and ensuring coordination across practice groups.
- Working with Practice Group leads to help Agency Leadership think strategically about our practices and posture to increase efficiency, minimize legal risk, and improve litigation and non-litigation outcomes.
- Managing resources and budget for the Office. This includes aligning resources within the Office, to ensure that each Practice Group have sufficient resources (including time and staff support) for their caseloads.
- Evaluating existing, proposed, and new practices and initiatives to identify legal risk those that may impact the operation of the agency and proposes solutions which enable the agency to operate with the necessary flexibility to meets its unique mission.
- Providing legal counsel and support to Agency leadership and senior management.
- As needed, provide direct legal support to other clients across the agency, directly or as part of a team of attorneys, as requested by the GC.
- Participates with the BBG and other high-ranking government officials in overall policy formulation and program planning for the BBG.
- Drafts or reviews Agency policies and procedures relating to its multiple and complex authorities and functions, and assures compliance with all pertinent laws and regulations.
- Support the GC in their role as Board Secretariat.
- In the absence of the GC, serves as Acting General Counsel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/488563200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.