TEXAS MILITARY DEPARTMENT
DUTY: Bear true faith and allegiance to the state and nation; cultivate an environment for all to excel; prepare mentally, physically and spiritually to deploy at home and abroad.
HONOR: Hold the public trust in the highest regard; exceed standards and expectations; act with understanding, innovation, resourcefulness, flexibility and urgency. Do all you can, where you are, with what you have and always place the welfare of those you lead first.
TEXAS: Embrace the courageous spirit of our people, history and culture.
This position is located in G6, Camp Mabry, TX. The purpose of this position is to engineer (plan, design, develop, test, implement, support and maintain) applications and serve as the technical expert for application development.
Appointment Factor(s): This is an Excepted Service position that requires active membership in a compatible military assignment in the Texas Army National Guard and wear of the military uniform. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Texas Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Texas Army National Guard. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please visit or contact a Texas Army National Guard recruiter before applying for this position.
Areas of Consideration: Nationwide Excepted. This includes:
- All currently employed full-time permanent, indefinite and temporary personnel of the Texas Army National Guard.
- All current members of the Texas Army National Guard and individuals eligible for membership in the Texas Army National Guard.
Incentives: Acceptance of a military Federal technician position may result in termination and / or repayment of military incentives. Please check your contract and contact your servicing Education Services (Incentives) office or the Recruiting/Retention office.
Rank Spread: Enlisted: E1 to E9; Warrant Officer: WO1 to CW5; Officers: O1 to O4
- The incumbent shall comply with the requirements of the certification program and will be required to obtain certification. Certification requirements are outlined in DOD Instruction 8570.01-M. COMPTIA SECURITY + OR HIGHER CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
- The Texas National Guard is an Equal Opportunity employer.
- Veteran's preference is not applicable in this position.
As an IT Specialist (APPSW/INET) with the Texas Army National Guard, your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Serve as a principal expert and the authoritative source for software application development, inclusive of Share-point Farm Administration; providing project leadership to lower-graded specialists.
- Provide technical guidance for application analysis and programming to internal and external contacts.
- Coordinate studies and plans with other technical personnel in the directorate.
- Recommend specific requirements for new application development and improvements to current applications.
- Determine feasibility of the requested applications.
- Plan, coordinate, and accomplish studies to identify need for new stand-alone and web-based application
- Determine specifications, equipment and facilities necessary to develop, modify, and implement needed applications.
- Design, develop, implement, monitor, and maintain stand-alone and web-based applications using software engineering techniques.
- Develop work plans, program logic, special instructions, and detailed flow charts covering processes and application needs.
- Assure software and systems quality and functionality.
- Ensure involvement of customer and management throughout the development process.
- Work with customers to test applications and ensure desired functionality is attained.
- Perform application maintenance.
- Analyze National Guard Bureau (NGB), agency and locally developed standard/stovepipe systems to determine needed additions.
- Develop new applications using software-engineering techniques that enhance existing stovepipe systems.
- Develop reports on the status of projects.
- Implement project management principles.
- Draft project plans, assign tasks, monitor progress, and resolve critical issues. Achieve cost goals, schedule goals, and performance goals.
- Develop and document internal Standard Operating Procedures/Instructions (SOP/SOIs) for application development.
- Create new guidelines and recommend Engineering Change Proposal - Software (ECP-S) through proponent agencies.
- Write and maintain application documentation for internal code. Write and maintain documentation to include user manuals, help files, and installation guides.
- Coordinate the demonstration of new and enhanced applications to customers and management.
- Provide training on application implementation, including classroom instruction and Computer Based Training (CBT) development.
- Determine overall technical design and structure of websites and web-based applications.
- Ensure security standards are met. Anticipate problems, research trends in system needs, and determine when new or additional hardware/software is required.
- Attend conferences and seminars that deal with Software Engineering and application development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Nationwide (see Open Areas of Consideration), Army National Guard Membership is Required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/488191700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.