Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Recent Graduates Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation. After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position or to a term position (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years).
Applicants can be selected at either the GS-07 or GS-09. The target grade of this position is GS-11.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Recent Graduate Program as defined in the Agency Participant Agreement.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management qualification standard including any applicable positive education requirements and/or selection placement factors and any other designated special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the position to which being converted.
Who May Apply:
Positions are open to:
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Short-term training programs (e.g. several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
- Current students who will graduate no later than December 31, 2017.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
As a developmental Civil Engineer, you will assist in performing duties such as:
Manages major repair programs for the District lock and dam, and flood risk management structures by planning and fully considering necessary time, safety, personnel, plant, material, and especially unique procedures and equipment requirements.
Prepares complex design sketches, plans, specifications, and cost estimates for proposed
Performs safety program management functions including accident prevention and control; correction of hazardous work conditions; safety education and promotion; and devising ways to apply safety measures to minimize impact on job efficiency.
Makes field inspections to determine condition of equipment such as lock gates, valves,sills, miter gates, service bridge structure, cranes, and hydraulic systems.
Responsible for technical support of hired labor work performed in conjunction with major maintenance and repair activities at navigation and flood risk management structures.
Makes frequent inspection of field operations to assure compliance with engineering plans and specifications, and to provide technical advice and guidance to job supervisors.
Provides technical advice in case of major breakdowns and accidents at either navigation or flood risk management structures; analyzes problems encountered which
require a high degree of originality in order to develop work methods for replacement of obsolete, unavailable parts and equipment; and also makes recommendations for remedial action and technically oversees operation by applying a broad knowledge of engineering principles.
Compiles statistical data covering budgetary requirements of the operating program, taking into consideration both current levels of operations and proposed developments.
Analyzes bids for materials, supplies, parts, equipment and services to be procured by contract.
Occasional travel - Business Travel up to 20% of the time.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Recent Graduates
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487278300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.