You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us? Click here to watch short podcasts entitled Meet Your New Boss and Diversity is our Strength.
This position is part of the Columbia River Fisheries Program Office. This Student Trainee (Office Support) position is not to exceed 1 year. This position may be terminated at any time or may be extended at management's discretion without further competition if the employee remains eligible for employment in the Pathways Intern Program. The Columbia River Fisheries Program Office coordinates and facilitates fishery resource management activities of a broad scope within the Columbia River basin among Region 1 Service programs, and with state, tribal, other federal, regional, and international agencies and organizations.
The Department of the Interior Internship Program (Pathways) is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed.
To be eligible for a Pathways Program internship program, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on at least a half-time basis and in good standing who will be continuing my education into the next semester have received a notice of acceptance for enrollment. (You are required to submit a copy of your transcript or notice of acceptance.)
- Enrollment must be with an accredited educational institution or state-approved home school. These may include high schools, colleges, universities, technical, trade, vocational, or business schools, and state approved home school secondary and post-secondary programs.
- Qualifying certificate programs are post-high school programs equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Educational institutions must be accredited by organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To see if your school is accredited, please visit: http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
- Uses a personal computer or computer terminal with varied keyboard procedures to type a wide variety of materials involving different forms, formats, arrangements, preparation, and processing procedures.
- Compiles data for preparation and typing of assigned reports, completion of forms or other materials as may relate to work request. Uses Excel automation software to prepare spreadsheets, charts, graphs, etc. Work is usually presented in final form unless draft is specified or required by the nature/use of material.
- Responsibilities include selection and application of appropriate procedures, correct abbreviations, spelling, grammar, punctuation, assembly of attachments, and other related clerical processes. Proofreads work typed personally or by others. Arranges necessary reproduction.
- Performs duties to maintain a smooth flow of work which may include the following: making travel arrangements, performing timekeeping functions using the Service's automated software, obtaining office supplies, compiling/maintaining working/reference aids or records, maintaining status records of assignments,
- Files correspondence, varied reports and records, and maintains file directives, administrative and/or technical guides/references, and office materials or publications as required. Locates and assembles requested materials and carries out records disposition. Incorporates revisions and revises features according to procedures for appropriate materials. Where applicable, makes cross-references.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Open to current students in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487091500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.