This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER, Position Description Number D1193000and is part of FMS 1, Nebraska Army National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is a Title 32 excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING ELIGIBILITY TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD PLEASE CONTACT THE LOCAL RECRUITING OFFICE AT 402-309-7458.
OPEN AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: AREA 1 and 2 ONLY
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
AREA 1 - Current permanent and indefinite bargaining unit Technicians of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard
AREA 2 - All Drill Status/M-Day members and temporary Technicians of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard
AREA 3 - Current military service members who are willing to become a member of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard
AREA 4 - All qualified candidates eligible and willing to become a member of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard. Selected individual must become a member of the respective National Guard prior to the date of hire.
As a SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER, WG-5801-8, duties include:
(1) Performs limited diagnosis, routine repairs and maintenance on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. Assists higher graded mechanics in the repair and/or overhaul of major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls. Makes routine repairs that can be accomplished by removing, adjusting, or replacing defective or worn parts and components. Performs work in accordance with technical manuals, lubrication orders, maintenance bulletins, regulations or management policies.
(2) Performs limited diagnoses to determine the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses basic test equipment such as compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges. Determines when parts should be cleaned, adjusted or replaced with standard parts to complete work orders.
(3) Removes, replaces, adjusts, cleans and installs parts and components such as wheel seals, switches, sensors, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering pumps, brakes, filters, radiators, bearings, springs, shock absorbers, wheel cylinders, starter motors, mufflers, battery cables, and other items of similar complexity.
(4) Independently performs routine repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems using standard parts. Receives guidance and instruction from a higher graded mechanic or supervisor to perform non-routine and more complex repairs on portions of major assemblies and/or systems. May provide field maintenance at unit locations as part of a "contact team". Recovers and evacuates inoperable vehicles from the unit location of breakdown.
(5) Conducts limited readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs Preventive Maintenance Checks and
Services (PMCS) and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc. Performs other preventive maintenance operations as required to ensure that equipment is functioning properly.
(6) May perform routine maintenance and limited repairs on basic communication equipment such as radios, field telephones, amplifiers, switchboards, recorders, intercoms by removing and replacing components and elements. Performs minor body and fender, or other metal repairs, using peening hammers, dollies and limited welding. Performs limited repairs and routine maintenance on small arms and accessory equipment by replacing worn or damaged parts. Makes minor repairs to canvas and leather items using bonding/sealing compounds and hand tools such as awls, canvas needles etc.
(7) In conjunction with or in the absence of the Tools and Parts Attendant, may maintain supply documentation, and the receipt, store, issue, and inventory of tools and parts used in the trades operation.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel for training and work related activities
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Nebraska National Guard Area 1 and 2 applicants
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487062200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.