As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Human Resources (HR) Specialist providing advisory and technical services in employee relations and employee benefits. The position is located in the Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Employee Relations Section, WJB Dorn VA Medical Center, Columbia, SC.
The incumbent is under the supervision of the Employee/Labor Relations Supervisor in HRMS. When performing Employee Relations functions, the incumbent performs senior level administrative, evaluative and technical work concerned with establishing and maintaining effective employer-employee relationships that contribute to the satisfactory productivity, motivation, morale and discipline. Work involves providing advice and assistance to employees and managers, program administration, research and case management in matters related to conduct, performance, attendance and dispute resolution. When performing the duties in the Employee Benefits Programs, incumbent serves as a Human Resources Specialist performing duties that include the administration and operation of the workers' compensation and retirement programs. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains agency OWCP case files. Responsible for compiling and analyzing statistical data to determine trends in costs and types of injuries resulting in compensation claims.
- Performs duties supporting the facility's retirement program, resolves problems in the local administration of the program, and determines the appropriate treatment of retirement issues that are moderately complex.
- Advises and assists employees and supervisors on employee relations issues up to and including those which are sensitive, serious or controversial.
- Provides information on employee rights and obligations. Maintains expertise in assigned program areas by keeping abreast of the latest changes in Federal and agency regulations and case laws.
- Responsible for the administration and oversight of the medical center's injury compensation program that includes a network of satellite outpatient clinics. Provides technical guidance to managers, supervisors, and employees.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Tour of Duty: Monday Friday, an 8 hour shift between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm (subject to change based on agency needs)
Position Description: HR Spec/01087-A
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…OPEN TO CURRENT PERMANENT VA EMPLOYEES ONLY
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486890600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.