The U.S. Census Bureau is seeking a highly-motivated and capable executive to serve as the Chief, Demographic Statistical Methods Divison (DSMD). The Chief, DSMD develops, directs, and coordinates the application of mathematical statistical techniques for the design and conduct of the statistical surveys in the demographic field. In addition, the Chief, DSMD develops and conducts research programs for the improvement of Census Bureau surveys through the conception, refinement, and application of methods and techniques based on the theory of mathematics, mathematical statistics and probability, and psychology.Learn more about this agency
This position is a Senior Executive Service (SES) career-reserved position. Positions in the SES are not graded. SES pay is commensurate with qualifications. SES employees are eligible for bonuses and awards based on performance. Veteran's preference is not applicable to SES.
The Chief, DSMD will:
- Provide technical and administrative leadership to the formulation and conduct of the DSMD programs and participate in the development of Census Bureau policies.
- Collaborate with the senior staff of the demographic directorate in planning the design of demographic surveys, as well as, occasional experimental designs and special studies.
- Direct the design and redesign of the sample frames for scheduled surveys to incorporate improvements and/or respond to major changes in program objectives.
- Guide the development and assure continued application of sound mathematical-statistical principles to effect unbiased procedures for resolving such problems as coverage, sample selection, duplication control, or other special weighing problems which arise in processing returns from surveys.
- Direct a program of methodological research for the purpose of evaluating proposed new or modified survey designs; experiment and evaluate new procedures to determine the best methods of collecting data in specified subject matter areas.
- Represent the Census Bureau on interdepartmental committees and the Federal Government (with representatives of other agencies) at conferences of international statisticians, and with other statistical groups advising and consulting on statistical methodology and sample survey techniques.
25% or less - Travel may be required to visit field offices, attend professional conferences and meetings, and represent the Census Bureau to government and non-profit organizations, businesses, etc.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from all qualified U.S. Citizens. Join the U.S. Census Bureau where we are looking for diverse, innovative thinkers. Embark on a new career that is challenging and exciting!
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486737900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.