This National Guard position is for a SHEET METAL MECHANIC (AIRCRAFT), Position Description Number D1371000 and is part of the AR ANG 189 MAI SQ, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
(1) Independently inspects aircraft and determines the nature and extent of repairs to be made, using applicable technical orders as guidelines. Works directly on the aircraft and its components, fulfilling such tasks as removal, repair, modification and installation of parts and assemblies, such as frames, stringers, longerons, bulkheads, beams, ribs, spars, skin, cowling, brackets, faring, access doors, panels and other related items. May be required to clear red "X" conditions.
(2) Repairs cracks in aircraft skin. Fabricates and fits patches to damaged areas, determining repair detail necessary to retain or restore original strength. Fits and trims components to aircraft such as landing gear doors, control surfaces, flaps access doors and other assemblies. Seals structures to make them pressure, water and weather tight.
(3) Troubleshoots aircraft structural repair situations in such areas as fuselage, tails, wings, cowlings, and stabilizers. Removes, forms, fits, and installs highly stressed and double contoured skins, using hand or powered drilling and cutting tools and other metal working equipment.
(4) Aligns and balances component structures and airframe using precision measuring instruments and levels. Performs metal-to-metal bonding where delamination of surfaces and core material occurs in control surfaces.
(5) Inspects damage or deterioration and determines repair or replacement of plastic, fiberglass, composites, bonded structures, and bonded honeycomb assemblies using powered and nonpowered tools and equipment. Repairs or replaces retaining frames and installs plastic laminated blanks. Designs and constructs forming fixtures.
(6) Manufactures and ensures that metal tubing, conduits and cables are fabricated and tested in accordance with drawings and specifications. Fabricates and repairs flexible control cables.
(7) Performs fabrication of local manufactured items requited for aircraft and equipment. Work includes layout, bending, cutting, forming and assembling. Devise and calculates patterns employing the principles of triangulation, radial and parallel line development.
(8) Sets up and operates power shears, brakes, rolls, dimpling machines, drill presses, saws, portable powered tools, specific detection and measuring equipment, and other metal working equipment, including use of other tools of the trade. Requisitions necessary supplies and equipment for the activity.
(9) Prepares and designs layout, dies, jigs, and templates necessary to carry out fabrication repair or modification of aircraft, engine, AGE, and other equipment. Works from blueprints, technical orders diagrams, and work orders.
(10) Identifies metal corrosion. Performs necessary testing to identify type corrosion present by examination with magnifying equipment, chemical and mechanical methods and treats aircraft engines, in accordance with applicable technical publications. Ensures that work assignments received from supervisor or maintenance control are accomplished in a timely manner.
(11) Removes corrosion by mechanical and chemical procedures to include use of portable powered (electric and pneumatic) sanders, buffers, brushes, bead blasters, vacuum cleaners, scrapers, grinders, acids, caustics, solvents, alcohols and other agents used in corrosion control processes.
(12) Applies protective coatings, markings, and decals after proper removal of corrosion and treatment of metals. Uses conventional paint spray equipment, electrostatic spray equipment, brushes and special applicators when applying primers and surface coatings.
(13) Identifies, blends, stores, controls, and disposes of hazardous materials such as acids, caustics, alcohols, solvents, cleaners, primers and surface coatings used for corrosion removal, treatment and protection in accordance with applicable directives.
(14) May operate the wash rack. Accomplishes corrosion and washing inspections within schedule provided to ensure compliance with the monthly and weekly maintenance plan. May conduct training on proper methods and procedures of wash rack operations.
(15) May assist in training of drill status guard members and in maintenance of publication files of applicable technical orders, regulations, manuals and local directives.
(16) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations such as MEI, ORI, IG and UE inspections mobility and command support exercises. May be required to perform such additional duties as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/crash/ rescue/duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operator, maintenance of facilities and equipment, or serve a member of a team to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
(17) Performs other duties as assigned.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…(1) All onboard Air National Guard Technicians on LRAFB and Camp Robinson. (2) All members of the Arkansas Air National Guard or those eligible for membership. (Upon selection, must be a member of the Air National Guard).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/486365000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.