Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines.Learn more about this agency
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
You will serve as a Lead Civil Engineer (Geotechnical) in the Engineering Division of the Mobile District Headquarters Office. Mobile District has over 1,100 civilian and 10 military personnel. These employees work in fields that are diverse, including project management, water resources planning and management, engineering and architectural design, construction, and operations and maintenance. Mobile District's military mission covers over 252,000 square miles, and supports the Army, Air Force, NASA and other federal agencies in Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Central and South America. The civil works mission covers 96,000 square miles in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Mississippi. It includes all river, harbor and flood control works within the drainage basin of six major river systems.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Serves as the District's technical expert in the field of geotechnical engineering to include dam safety.
- Prepares complex designs for the geotechnical engineering portions of military, civil works, HTRW and support for others projects.
- Monitors the geotechnical engineering aspects of all Mobile District investigations, studies, and designs to insure their completeness and technical adequacy
- Responsible for the technical quality of all geotechnical engineering products produced in Engineering Division.
- Conducts independent technical reviews of the geotechnical engineering portions of all in-house designs and of AE scopes of work prepared by other geotechnical engineers in Engineering Division.
- Directs the work of other geotechnical engineers in Engineering Division on the approach to use on the more technically complex design problems. Also advises customers on how to best resolve their more technically complex geotechnical engineering problems.
- Maintains reference materials, project files and relevant background documents required by geotechnical engineers to be able to effectively execute their technical and administrative programs
- Provides technical/other leadership and personnel management/administrative assistance within Geotechnical and Dam Safety Section.
- Articulates and communicates to the team the assignment, project, problem to be solved, actionable events, milestones, and/or program issues under review, and deadlines and time frames for completion;
- Conducts training to insure that other geotechnical engineers within the Mobile District are kept informed of the latest developments in the geotechnical engineering field and to improve their overall proficiency
- Serves as coach, facilitator and/or negotiator in coordinating team initiatives and in consensus building activities among team members
25% or less - Travel may be required for training and/or site visits.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/485298400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.