Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade and unit occur.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
This position is covered by Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) and additional compensation may be paid at the rate of up to 25% of the base salary.
Learn more about this agency
The selectee will serve as a Supervisory Forensic Scientist in the Office of Investigations, Forensic Services Division. Typical work assignments include:
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates to facilitate their career development; ensures that all assigned employees under his/her direction are fully trained in all phases of their responsibilities and have sufficient knowledge of program area and division activities to adequately resolve various work related issues; and ensures that Branch Chief level staff members actively participate in professional scientific meetings and seminars and join professional forensic scientific societies.
- Consults with the Chief Research Chemist and provides direction to the laboratory’s research programs; determines what research is necessary to obtain and maintain the most effective and efficient methods of analysis; establishes priorities, discusses progress, expands and curtails or cancels research projects; and evaluates the final results of each research project prior to submission for presentation and/or publication.
- Participates in formal policy conferences convened by the US Secret Service in order to formulate, adjust or redefine long-range planning of broad forensic science program objectives and performance goals for the laboratory; provides substantive counsel and influences major policy and program decisions; and prepares, monitors and revises long-range and annual manpower and monetary resources toward the accomplishment of the program goals established by US Secret Service.
- Periodically evaluates the overall effectiveness and adequacy of laboratory equipment and makes recommendations regarding the replacement, upgrading or augmentation of instrumentation and techniques used for examination of physical evidence; periodically evaluates the space and personnel requirements for the effective and economical operations of the laboratory as well as for the safety of the staff; and makes appropriate recommendations for changes.
- Serves as an expert witness in federal, state, military and local courts of law; and serves as the Laboratory Director of the Forensic Services Division with responsibility for managing and directing the provision of a full range of forensic services to the organization and its components.
Occasional travel - *****
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Merit Promotion
- Status Candidates
- Former Overseas Employees
- Schedule A - Individuals with Disabilities
- Military Spouses
- Peace Corps
- Interchange Agreement Eligibles
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484629000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.