You will be responsible for managing and promoting assigned Federal highway programs within the State or, as a shared resource, in multiple states. Provide engineering stewardship and oversight at various junctures of project and program delivery of Federal aid infrastructure projects within the state (s). This entails working on a broad range of engineering activities in the State associated with the design, construction and maintenance of highways and highway- related facilities. You will participate in the development of overall Division Office policy procedures and in the revision or establishment of national policy on behalf of the Division Office. You will also have the authority to commit the agency to actions on behalf of the Division Office(s) represented in line with delegations of authority.Learn more about this agency
The ideal candidate for this position is a mid-career engineer with experience monitoring Federally funded highway programs or delivering highway projects from initial scoping through construction support and maintenance; and experience conveying ideas and concepts in meetings and discussions, and in writing.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for these locations.
As the Civil Engineer (Highway), you will:
- Serve as a key technical advisor in meetings, telephone contacts, public hearings, field reviews, and visit with State DOT officials and other Federal, State, and local agencies regarding assigned program areas and in assisting in the implementation of leadership initiatives. Communicate and apply Federal laws, regulations, and FHWA policies applicable to Federal aid projects within the State DOT project development process.
- Monitor highway and other infrastructure improvements to determine if they are constructed to a desired quality and whether Federal aid construction funds are being expended in a manner consistent with applicable Federal laws and regulations.
- Participate in assessments State programs for effectiveness and compliance. Provide to partners recommendations for performance and operational improvements and guidance on corrective actions.
- Provide review of projects in accordance with the Division’s risk-based stewardship and oversight plan. This may include review of plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) for appropriate application of design standards and criteria, conformance with policy and regulations, eligibility for Federal participation, traffic safety features, reasonableness of estimated unit prices, fulfillment of requirements from the transportation planning and NEPA process, and proper standard an special specifications and contract provisions.
- Participate in and contribute to Division program management activity including development of stewardship and oversight plans, conducting risk assessments, development of strategic operations and business plans, promotion of the implementation of a performance-based planning and programming process to partner agencies, and identification and tracking of performance measures and the associated reporting process.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
Current/former status employees and VEOA eligible veterans are encouraged to also apply to: FHWA.FO-2018-0036.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484616200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.