This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC, Position Description Number D1195000and is part of theMI FMS Midland, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC, WG-5801-11
This position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility. The purpose of this position is to troubleshoot, repair, maintain, inspect, and/or overhaul a variety of complex combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment having complicated mechanical and non-mechanical systems with a variety of interconnected systems. Provides technical guidance and specialized team leadership to lower grade employees.
(1) Performs maintenance, troubleshooting, and major repair on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical, and automotive vehicles.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment with a variety of the mechanically complex major systems and diagnoses difficult performance problems and the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks, uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges and computer diagnostic tools.
3) Removes and disassembles engines and complex major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions with little or no supervision in remote locations.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
(6) Performs electrical repairs on complex state of the art electrical and electronic systems requiring extensive training on specialized diagnostic equipment to identify problems.
(7) Assists in the maintenance of production reports and records, and makes recommendations to the supervisor.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens. Area 1 - Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483917900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.