This position is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
Salary NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
GS-04:$14.07 (Step 01) to $18.28 (Step 10)
This position is intended for current students who expect to be enrolled for at least the next year while you complete your degree requirements.
You must meet, and continue to meet, the following eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of fulltime study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
The USGS Oklahoma Water Science Center is seeking undergraduate and graduate level students working towards a degree in engineering, industrial technology, construction drafting, surveying, physical science, biology, or mathematics to gain practical experience in hydrology.
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of hydrology.
- Gathering basic hydrologic data concerning any one or a combination of four areas, i.e., quantity, quality, availability, and movement and distribution of water.
- Reviewing gage-height data and discharge measurements to check methods and accuracy of computation.
- Performing routine water-level and discharge measurements from wells and springs.
- Performing routine field water-quality measurements such as water temperature, specific conductance, pH, dissolved oxygen and alkalinity.
- Computing, processing, and checking routine sediment samples.
- Installing, maintaining, servicing, and troubleshooting sensing, recording and communications equipment and instrumentation.
25% or less - Occasional travel up to 5-7 nights per month may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described under "Eligibility Requirements."
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483338200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.