This position is located in the Information Technology Security Staff (ITSS) in the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO). The incumbent of this position serves as a Smithsonian IT Security Specialist and is a member of the IT Security team. As such, the incumbent performs duties and activities necessary to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of the Institution's data, automated information systems (AISs), and the supporting information technology infrastructure.Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent assigns and monitors the work of SOC (Security Operations Center) team members, ensures that SOC tools (e.g. firewalls, intrusion detection systems, web proxies, monitoring systems, vulnerability scanners, forensics tools, malware defenses, penetration testing tools, etc.)are effectively managed, ensures that SOC operational processes are performed appropriately, and initiates corrective actions as needed.
- The incumbent leads an integrated team of employee and contractor security engineers.
- The incumbent leads the tracking, investigation, remediation, documentation, and reporting of IT security incidents. This includes making risk and vulnerability assessments to differentiate false positives from true events. The incumbent develops/maintains documented procedures for managing and reporting security incidents, conducts breach remediation activities, investigates and documents incidents in a timely manner, and reports on incidents to appropriate parties in accordance with established standards and requirements.
- The incumbent researches, recommends, architects, implements, administers, maintains and supports various IT security tools and technologies in support of the Smithsonian’s security architecture; and oversees other SOC team members in performing these activities. The incumbent develops security architecture recommendations, and ensures that enterprise security systems are implemented and maintained to support the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Smithsonian systems.
- The incumbent plans and implements SOC and other assigned projects, develops and manages detailed plans, communicates project goals and assignments to team members, monitors project activities, and implements corrective actions as needed.
- The incumbent develops policies, procedures, presentations, instructions, and other documentation, and communicates them to personnel at all levels throughout the Smithsonian.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to other Smithsonian sites (potentially including Panama, Cambridge, NY, etc.). Not more than 1 or 2 per year outside the local area.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
This is a "Direct Hire" solicitation. Vacancies are open to the public, and agencies are not required to apply rating procedures or veterans preference. The Smithsonian will continue to make employment offers to qualified candidates with veterans preference whenever possible.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483336000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.