WHAT DOES A DEPARTMENT MANAGER DO? As a Department Manager, generally a second level supervisor, you will be responsible for planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, controlling and evaluating the activities of subordinate organizations that will report to you. You will use your leadership skills, management techniques, methods, theories, principles, and labor employee relations concepts to assure optimum utilization of personnel, equipment, and space for the accomplishment of all program objectives within your organization. Generally, your organization will encompass a major metropolitan area, a State, or a small region of several States, depending on the taxpayer population and business services provided.Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT (W&I) DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I objectives are to provide high quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.
This is a roster announcement open continuously and allows applicants to apply up to the last cut off date listed in the announcement. The roster will be used to fill positions throughout the next 12 months. We are projecting approximately 3 vacancies may be filled during the life of this roster open period of 10/16/17 to 07/30/18 – selections may be made through 12/07/18. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled in the individual PODs listed below as they become available in that location during the life of this roster. Applicants need to apply andbe eligible on or prior to the cut off dates or the closing dateto be considered for the roster. Additional and/or updated applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm ET (Eastern Time) at the close of each of the following cutoff dates: 10/30/17, 01/30/2018, 04/30/2018 and 07/30/2018.
Three (3) positions are located in the Wage & Investment Division (W&I), Accounts Management Operations 1 & 2 at 1040 Waverly Ave, Holtsville NY 11742 (NY0376).
As a Department Manager you will:
- Define business goals, develop work plans, and set short and long term priorities to be accomplished by subordinates.
- Direct, coordinate, and oversee work plans through subordinate managers and supervisors. Assign work based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employees.
- Evaluate program implementation and effectiveness.
- Provide guidance, advice, counsel, or instruction to subordinates in resolving administrative and on technical problems.
- Manage relationships with functional executives of IRS operating divisions within the area serviced, officials of other agencies, and in advising management officials of higher rank.
- Develop performance standards and evaluate work performance of subordinate supervisors and managers; Serve as the reviewing official on evaluations and performance recognition or disciplinary actions of non-supervisory employees rated by subordinate supervisors.
- Manage and resolve group grievances, employee complaints, and/or other issues elevated to the second level.
- Make decisions and/or approve expenses on routine and/or non-routine, costly, or controversial requests and/or personnel related actions (e.g., selection, training, promotions).
- Serve as a coach and/or mentor to subordinate managers and/or employees on an on-going basis, tailoring the emphasis based on the particular needs and background.
- Initiate ways to improve efficiency of the department and increase the quality of the work directed; Find and implement ways to eliminate or reduce significant bottlenecks and barriers to production, promote team building, or improve business practices.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481975200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.