Mission Statement: The Joint Staff assists the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in accomplishing his responsibilities for: the unified strategic direction of the combatant forces; their operation under unified command; and for their integration into an efficient team of land, naval, and air forces. The Joint Staff is composed of approximately equal numbers of officers from the Army, Navy and Marine Corps, and Air Force. In practice, the Marines make up about 20 percent of the number allocated to the Navy. For more information see: http://www.jcs.mil/Learn more about this agency
This position is part of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. This position is located in the Joint Staff, Directorate of Management, Office of Comptroller, Accounting and Reporting Branch. The incumbent of this position serves as an accountant, responsible for complex accounting and financial reporting matters pertaining to the execution of annual and multi-year appropriations.
As a Staff Accountant at the GS-0510-12/13 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Provides expert advice in specialized areas of accounting to help resolve problems, and assists in the development of accounting policies and procedures. Recommends operational, procedural and systems modifications to support accounting operations, financial reporting and adequate internal controls.
- Monitors internal controls over financial reporting and systems, and makes recommendations to improve financial operations, system effectiveness, and maintenance of the integrity of financial information in accordance with OMB Circular A-123, Appendix A.
- Participates as directed in the development and implementation of the JS Financial Improvement Audit Readiness (FIAR) Program. Reviews and analyzes a wide variety of JS financial and accounting documents, reports, policies, operations, and procedures.
- Reviews, analyzes, and interprets guidance, regulations, and policy received from DoD, OMB, Treasury, GAO and other regulatory agencies. Makes recommendations to ensure that JS financial processes, recorded transactions, systems and reports are compliant.
- Performs financial reporting liaison activities with service providers and other stakeholders. Applies expert knowledge of theories, concepts, principles and practices of accounting and financial reporting in order to evaluate interfaces and interrelationships between the financial systems.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This announcement is open to: All U.S. Citizens
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481783300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.