The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, has been named one of the Happiest and Safest States in the nation, is home to Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
VA BHHCS is where we live and work in rural small town settings, only minutes from Rapid City's shopping, dining, cultural, and entertainment venues. We offer rich history, including Mammoths and Prehistoric Civilizations, the 7th Cavalry, Deadwood, and Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills includes stunning landscapes such as Black Elk Peak, Bear Butte, the Badlands and the Needles Highway. When it's time for civilization, you'll find the Black Hills hosting local and national theatre groups, movie companies, national pow wow competitions, international dance troupes, symphony orchestras, and a variety of entertainers. Sports enthusiasts will find auto races, college sports, semi-pro hockey, and some of the best in rodeo.
VA BHHCS is a multi-campus health care system, with approximately 1100 employees, providing primary care, acute medicine, surgery, behavioral health, nursing home and domiciliary care from medical centers located at Fort Meade and Hot Springs, South Dakota as well as a staffed Community Based Outreach Clinic in Rapid City and numerous contracted and staffed clinics in Western South Dakota, Northern Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.Learn more about this agency
The Health Technician (Hearing) position performs the duties in Audiology Service of the Surgical & Specialty Care Service Line of the VA Black Hills Health Care System, located in Rapid City, SD. These duties include, but are not limited to:
· Performs routine repairs of all hearing aid delivered or mailed to the Audiology clinic at the Community Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC).
· Operates tools and equipment that range from simple brushes to computer-operated systems.
· Provides primary level troubleshooting and repair for veterans who are experiencing hearing aid problems.
· Provides counseling regarding common hearing aid problems and good communication habits and operating hearing aid controls.
· Operates fine-handled tools in complicated and often stressful situations.
· Cleans and repairs hearing aids; otoscope to inspect and demonstrate factors of the external ear and internal components of hearing aids; electronic and air-powered devices to test, clean and rejuvenate devices.
· Makes impressions of the ear canal for earmolds or custom in-the-ear hearing aids when directed by professional Audiology staff.
· Performs data management functions critical to the delivery of audiology services.
· Schedules new and established patient appointments.
· Tracks and facilitates completion of encounters and consults.
Duty station is the Rapid City Clinic with occasional travel to Fort Meade and Hot Springs.
Work Schedule:7:30-4:00 Monday - Friday
Position Description Title/PD#: 20188-A
This position is not required to file a financial disclosure report.
Occasional travel - To Fort Meade and Hot Springs campuses
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481649100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.