GAO's work is designed to address four goals:Learn more about this agency
- to help the Congress address current and emerging challenges to the well-being and financial security of the American people;
- to help the Congress to respond to changing security threats and the challenges of global interdependence;
- to help transform the Federal government to address national challenges; and
- to maximize the value of GAO by enabling quality, timely service to Congress and by being a leading practices Federal agency.
To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at GAO.
This position in located in the GAO, Human Capital Office (HCO), Employee Relations and Benefits Center. The HCO is responsible planning, managing and administering comprehensive human capital programs, initiatives, policies, and services to meet the needs of the agency; ensuring alignment with organizational mission, goals and performance outcomes; and evaluating links to organizational performance and growth. The Office partners with GAO leadership to ensure the agency remains a performance-based organization that maximizes performance, ensures accountability, and manages its workforce strategically.
The Employee Relations and Benefits Center provides information to employees and advice to managers on a full range of employee relations activities; administers federal benefits programs such as health/life insurance, retirement programs, worker’s compensation/unemployment compensations and death benefits; suitability determinations; and manages GAO’s Telework Program.
The HCO, Employee Relations and Benefits Center is seeking an experienced human resources professional to serve as a Human Resources Specialist (Employee Relations); responsible for participating in the administration of GAO's employee relations program; as well as, participating in administration and day-to-day operations of GAO’s telework program. Specifically, the incumbent:
• Provides advice and technical guidance on employee relations matters to management officials, employees, and other human capital specialists on matters such as performance, conduct, discipline, adverse actions, grievances, and appeals. Assists Labor Relations staff with third-party proceedings; interprets policy, standards, and procedures; and keeps abreast of changes to management-employee issues, policies, laws, and practices.
• Provides advice to managers and employees on investigations and resolution of grievances and appeals to the GAO Personnel Appeals Board (PAB), as required under GAO regulations and applicable statutes.
• Contributes to the development of policy and guidance to implement applicable laws and regulations related to the employee relations programs.
• Participates in the administration of the GAO Telework Program in accordance with applicable public laws, guidelines, policy and reporting requirements. Provides policy guidance and technical assistance to employees, managers and supervisors on the Telework Program.
• Collects/reviews telework data. Assists with the identification of trends and providing critical analysis of pressing issues and required policy recommendations to inform decisions regarding design, development and evaluation of the telework program.
• Assists with the preparation of briefing and policy papers for GAO management and other stakeholders explaining the direction and achievement of GAO’s telework program.
• Represents the HCO in dealings with labor unions in consultation and collective bargaining situations concerning telework programs.
• Coordinates policies and problem resolution on employee relations and quality of work-life issues that impact telework programs.
• Maintains contact with other federal agencies, interagency groups, and private associations, including serving as the agency program representative to the Office of Personnel Management.
• Provides guidance on the requirements, preparation and submission of telework requests. Reviews applications for completeness, processes applications, and notifies employees and supervisors of any deficiencies.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This announcement is open to all qualified U.S. Citizens
This position is also being announced under the Agency's Merit Promotion Plan for federal employees and non-competitive appointment eligibles. If you are a current federal employee with status and wish to be considered under Merit Promotion or Non-Competitive procedures, you MUST apply to announcement number GAO-18-HCO-0201-01MP for consideration.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481506200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.