The Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) is the principal staff element of the Secretary of Defense in the exercise of policy development, planning, resource management, and program evaluation responsibilities. OSD includes the Offices of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense, Under Secretaries of Defense, Deputy Chief Management Officer, Assistant Secretaries of Defense, General Counsel, and the Director of Administration.Learn more about this agency
This position is in the Senior Executive Service (SES), a small, elite group of top government leaders. SES members possess a diverse portfolio of experiences including strong skills to lead across organizations. As a Senior Executive, you will influence the direction of innovation and transformation of the federal government and lead the next generation of public servants.
The Associate Director, Defense-Wide Programs position is located in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller). The incumbent serves as the key official in the Office of the Deputy Comptroller (Program/Budget) with responsibility for all budgetary aspects of the Operation and Maintenance appropriations activities related to the Defense Agencies, the Defense-Wide Working Capital Fund activities, and other Defense-Wide activities.
The incumbent leads a select staff of professional budget analysts and performs the following major functions:
- Review and analyze extremely complex and variable military programs and apply comprehensive knowledge of budget policy and procedures.
- Participate with senior staff in the technical and financial evaluation of operating programs including budget formulation, budget execution and reprogramming of appropriated funds.
- Develop and apply analytical tools in order to attempt to master a large volume of facts relating to each program and to interpret trends and conditions in the operating programs form numerous interrelated sources with no possibility of guidance from objective sources.
- Maintain direct contact with senior officials of the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) staff responsible for major programs (such as Environmental Restoration and Cooperation Threat Reduction) and in the Defense Agencies in order to assure constant familiarity with the wide-ranging operating programs as they develop.
- Provide additional information to the Comptroller, which may be significant in the presentation of the budget before the OMB and Congress.
- Analyze and evaluate budget estimates (including supplemental and budget amendments) and budget execution programs, including the conduct of such investigations and hearings as may be necessary to determine the relevance, importance, and necessity of various program funding proposals.
- Maintain a continuing review of the fiscal programs to ensure that programs are being executed in accordance with the direction of the Secretary of Defense and the intent of Congress.
- Review and analyze requests for the reprogramming of funds which require the approval of the Comptroller and transmittal to the Congress.
- Provide advice and guidance to a staff of budget analysts who have responsibility for developing analyses and recommendations concerning the various budget estimates and execution programs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All Qualified U.S. Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481341000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.