When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
The ideal candidate will have experience using current industry standard GIS software and loss economic tools to create products that support flood hazard mapping through FEMA's Risk MAP program. This position starts at a salary of $78,183.00 (GS-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of Region VIII's Mitigation/Risk Analysis team within FEMA.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will serve as a Risk Analyst with expertise in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and full responsibility for all activities involved in Risk Analysis and GIS support to the Mitigation Division. Typical assignments include:
- Providing technical capability in risk analysis and GIS to support Risk Mapping, Assessment and Planning (MAP), Hazus, Earthquake Program, Dam Safety, and Mitigation Planning in FEMA's Mitigation Division, Risk Analysis Branch.
- Serving as an expert consultant in the planning, integration, monitoring, and administration of the GIS component of projects in FEMA’s Mitigation Division, Risk Analysis Branch programs. Conducting a proactive GIS training program for the Mitigation Division. Performing digital data collection and integration for analyses related to the Mitigation Division programs. Maintaining a state-of-the-art knowledge of technological developments in the GIS field and use of GIS software, and applying them to solve project problems.
- Presenting and performing Hazus GIS analysis for hazard identification and risk assessment in support of FEMA Risk MAP initiative and disaster applications as appropriate.
- Providing GIS support to regional and field mitigation staff during disaster events. This can include support or preparation of disaster response task orders for data collection or analysis. This can also include preparation and distribution of data and map graphics related to mitigation initiatives during disasters including high water marks, flood map performance, insurance issues, floodplain management issues and grants program support.
Occasional travel - Non-emergency domestic travel less than 25% may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- U.S. citizens
- Status candidates may also apply under FEMA-17-PH-175575-MP
- View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478791400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.