This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC INSPECTOR, Position Description Number D1286000and is part of the MI MATES, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC INSPECTOR, WG-5801-12
This position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility. The purpose of the position is to serve as an inspector of surface maintenance vehicles and equipment to ensure that physical and operating characteristics are within acceptable standards and specifications. Duties involve complex inspection work, requiring a wide variety of inspection processes and techniques, at remote worksites or field installations where a supervisor is not readily available. In these situations, work is performed very independently and decisions require a wide range of subjective judgments.
1. Inspects a large variety of heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles such as attack tanks, large cranes, tank retrievers, fire trucks, bridge transporters, armored vehicle launched bridges, bulldozers, road graders, crawler tractors, power shovels, self propelled earth compacting equipment, self propelled artillery, etc.
2. Inspects complex, interrelated mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic and electrical systems, equipment and their components while in operation or in a standby condition.
3. Inspects equipment to determine repairs needed.
4. Inspects the full range of equipment as described above at remote worksites in support of field organizations, field units during field exercise training periods, or before major pieces of equipment are sent for repair to a supporting maintenance facility.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens. Area 1 - Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard. Area 2 - Open to current members of the Michigan National Guard.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478431200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.