This position is located in the Office of the Register of Wills/Probate Division of the District of Columbia Superior Court and reports to the Register of Wills. The Probate Division Self-Help Center Program Manager will oversee the daily management and operations of a newly created Self-Help Center.Learn more about this agency
The Probate Division Self-Help Center is responsible for providing free information and assistance to unrepresented people in a variety of probate law matters (such as administration of estates, small estates, and guardianship of adults and minors). The Probate Division Self-Help Center answers questions, provides a roadmap for handling decedent estates, assists with completion of forms, provides a wide array of information in the form of brochures and videos, and explains how to navigate the court process and what to expect in court.
The Probate Division Self-Help Center Program Manager is responsible for an emerging program while analyzing, proposing, and implementing process improvement initiatives. This position supervises clerical, paralegal, and professional staff within the Branch and is responsible for ensuring that service to the public is consistent, courteous, professional, and reflects the values of the DC Courts.
The incumbent should be an enthusiastic and engaged professional who enjoys working with a diverse group of Court personnel and customers and lives the DC Courts’ values of Accountability, Excellence, Fairness, Integrity, Respect, and Transparency.
DC Court Policy 1060.VI. - Practice of Law: Judges, Magistrate Judges, law clerks, judicial administrative assistants and nonjudicial employees shall not engage in the practice of law while employed by the District of Columbia Courts. Notwithstanding this prohibition, an employee may act pro se and may, without compensation, give legal advice to and draft or review documents for a member of one’s family.
Brief Description of Duties:
- Participates in the development of branch objectives, performance measures and targets, and is responsible for the timely accomplishment of these objectives and goals in support of the division’s management action plan (MAP) and court’s strategic plan.
- Provides oversight of work flow management to ensure timely and accurate case processing in compliance with performance measures, including time standards and adherence to standard operating procedure.
- Provides oversight of sealed and confidential cases and information.
- Utilizes Business Intelligence to automate performance and operational reviews and to streamline branch operations.
- Assesses training needs to implement training and development opportunities for staff. Develops and maintains training materials and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Participates in the recruitment process, screening, interviewing and selection of new staff.
- Provides administrative and technical assistance and procedural information to attorneys, judicial officers and staff, court personnel, and the general public.
- Investigates and responds orally and/or in writing to inquiries and complaints from judicial officers and staff; partner agencies, attorneys and the public.
- Provides oversight of Self-Help Center logistics and staff to ensure effective operations and a safe work environment.
- Provides effective leadership and guidance to ensure fairness and accountability of all staff through enforcement of Self-Help Center, division, and court policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the collaborative performance management process by developing and implementing performance plans and evaluations; rewarding and coaching staff; documenting performance and addressing performance issues in a timely manner; and issuing corrective actions as warranted in accordance with court policy and division procedures and standards.
- Establishes and implements best practices, business process improvement, and standard operating procedures for effective and efficient case processing and world-class customer service through organizational change management practices.
- Ensures that operations and procedures comply with all relevant statutes, rules, business practices and the policies of the court and the Probate Division.
- Ensures that business processes and procedures are clearly developed and updated for inclusion in the Probate Division’s standard operations procedures manual.
- Collaborates with Probate Division management team and with court leadership and partner agencies regarding mutual work-related programs and objectives.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens or individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residency or authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service to work in the United States.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478415300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.