The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!Learn more about this agency
WYOMING AIR NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Wyoming Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants must currently be members in the Wyoming Air National Guard in order to be considered for employment.
AREA 5: INDEFINITE JOB OPPORTUNITY DUAL STATUS TECHNICIAN - MERIT PROMOTION: Only current military members of the Wyoming Air National Guard will be considered.
Position Title: Public Affairs Specialist
Position Series/Grade: GS-1035-11
Position Description #: D1168000
PAS #: FMSN
FAC #: 104000
Technician Position #: 0103169334
Military Position #: 0074739834
Location: Wyoming National Guard Public Affairs Office
Enlisted applicant's military grade cannot exceed the maximum military grade authorized. Over-grade applicants must provide a written demotion statement of understanding with application, willingness to be administratively reduced in grade (state specific grade) if selected for this position. A Demotion Statement of Understanding is located at: http://go.usa.gov/cfJfG
Applicants' under or those over-grade, without a written demotion statement of understanding, will not be considered for this vacancy. Acceptance of this position does not in any way constitute a military promotion.
This position is located in the Joint Force Headquarters - State, Personal Staff, Public Affairs Office (PAO). The primary purpose of the position is to assist the state's Public Affairs (PA) Officer at the strategic and operational level, with particular emphasis on developing segments of more complicated or sensitive communications campaigns and executing the National Guard Bureau's (NGB's) communication objectives.
As a PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST, GS-1035-11, you will:
(1) Assist the Public Affairs Officer in the formulation of long-range plans and policies to enhance public understanding, support and acceptance of Public Affairs programs and/or activities statewide.
(2) Research and develop informational materials and complete communication campaigns for release to audiences through electronic and newspaper media. Prepare materials explain or describe the mission of the NG, NG accomplishments, policies, programs or actions taken to ensure the NG's compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements.
(3) Respond to media requests for information of both a routine and controversial nature. Prepare or assemble information kits, edits informational materials drafted by subordinate public affairs specialists or Unit Public Affairs Representatives (UPAR), releases photographs and/or feature stories to the news media, coordinates media interviews with NG subject matter experts and arranges photographic and electronic media coverage of newsworthy NG events.
(4) Maintain close working relationships with officials of various civic, media and community groups and Department of Defense personnel, as well as state and national government officials outside the NG.
(5) Provide training to UPAR's on PA program policies, practices and processes. Coordinate and evaluate the effectiveness of training and training materials and develops recommendations for program enhancement. Review all press releases, feature stories, background statements, special reports, etc., developed by UPARs, prior to their release to the media.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Only current members of the Wyoming Air National Guard will be considered for this vacancy.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478028600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.