The Housekeeping Aid performs a full range of light and heavy cleaning duties and routine housekeeping duties. Duties include cleaning wards, patient rooms, storerooms, offices, corridors, restrooms, shower rooms, and other areas. Housekeeping Aids sweep, mop, scrub (machine) floors, vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture, empty waste baskets, clean light globes and Venetian blinds, wash walls, windows and ceilings by climbing small ladders, refill toilet tissue and tower dispensers and move furniture. Housekeeping Aids carry out assignments with a minimum of supervision.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
The Housekeeping Aid performs a full range of light and heavy cleaning duties and routine housekeeping duties. Duties include but are not limited to;
- Able to perform repetitive tasks in maintaining an assigned area of the medical center in a sanitary, orderly and attractive condition.
- Adheres to all FMS safety, ergonomic, MVO, Industrial Hygiene, and Infection Control requirements applicable to their assignment, established in the current edition of Medical Center Directives, the FMS Procedure Manual, and FMS specific memorandums.
- Care is required to avoid serious injury when working on ladders and using equipment.
- Cleans floors using power scrubbers and buffers; washes walls using micro fiber pads and vacuums with heavy industrial type vacuum cleaners.
- Cleans rooms associated with a medical center such as restrooms, patient rooms, exam rooms, offices, recreation rooms, etc.
- Collects, transports and disposes of normal hospital wastes, regulated medical waste (infectious waste) and when necessary hazardous wastes.
- Communicates with customers in a courteous, tactful, and helpful manner and is responsive to the customer's needs.
- Demonstrates participation and knowledge in the facility's Compliance and Business Integrity Program to prevent violations of the law as well as maintaining high ethical standards.
- Demonstrates the ability to adjust to change or work pressure in a pleasant and constructive manner.
- Exercises extreme care in the safe operation of heavy equipment.
- Identifies the customer's situation properly and performs the tasks required to resolve the customer's questions/issues accurately and in a timely manner.
- Keeps all equipment clean and in a presentable condition, and report to his/her supervisor any equipment in need of repairs or higher level maintenance.
- Knowledgeable in the required housekeeping, sanitation, and waste management techniques and procedures.
- Listens to customer feedback, positive and/or negative, and acts to resolve matters/situations within his/her control.
- Operates other equipment such as a trash compacter, Sanipak, cardboard bailer, plastic bailer, high lifts and other equipment that the incumbent has been trained on.
- Performs carpet cleaning tasks such as to spot clean, vacuum and shampoo carpets as well as upholstered furniture.
- Professional relationships are courteous and cooperative in nature with supervisors, co-workers, and others in the organization and, overall, contribute to the effective operations of the workplace and the development of a collaborative working relationship.
- Protects electronic and printed files containing sensitive information.
- Protects the data from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion.
Provides verbal and/or written information in a timely manner to customers, which is thorough and correct, using clear and precise communication methods to ensure customers understand.
- Questions/issues not within the employee's control are referred in a timely manner to appropriate staff able to assist with the situation.
- Receives specific instructions for each new task and is usually not required to use judgment, since their work is scheduled for them and checked upon completion.
- Responds to customer requests for assistance promptly and in a friendly and professional manner.
- Responsible for keys and phones or pagers on assignment.
- Uses equipment tags, safety and caution signs properly. Incumbent utilizes proper body mechanics when lifting or carrying objects.
- Works under the general direction of the Supervisory Housekeeping Aid or Work Leader who inspects work assigned daily, weekly or provides written schedules for periodic work to be performed.
Work Schedule: Various shifts, but core Medical Center hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Position Description Title/PD#: Housekeeping Aid / PD 60301-A (This is a Bargaining Unit Position)
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Veteran's Preference Eligibles Only
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476990000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.